1986 VF500F Carb Boot Dimensions

Hamhock

TLDR: Does anyone have a 1986 VF500F carb boot they can measure the ID, OD and length of?
Hey guys I need some help. I'm working on a 1986 VF500F and I've got to rebuild the carbs. I need new carb boots to do the job properly, problem is the carb boots are NOLA from Honda and the one aftermarket supplier I can find wants $100 for a set of 4. I'm a cheapskate and won't shell out for that. I plan on using either "universal" carb boots or buy a length of high temp silicone or rubber and make some boots. The boots are on the bike so I can't get my calipers on them to measure and I don't want to have the bike apart for long (that's how you lose parts, ask how I know) and I'd like to have everything I need before I begin. Does anyone has one loose on the shelf that they could measure for me? I'd really appreciate any help you guys might have for me. Thanks!

I have an '86 750.  Doubt that the carb diameters are the same, but I replaced the carb boots years ago with some off-the-shelf radiator hose.

Sorry, don't know the hose diameter, but with some clamps on each end, it worked just fine.

Easier to removed the carburetors, too !

Brian

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Hamhock said:
TLDR: Does anyone have a 1986 VF500F carb boot they can measure the ID, OD and length of?
Hey guys I need some help. I'm working on a 1986 VF500F and I've got to rebuild the carbs. I need new carb boots to do the job properly, problem is the carb boots are NOLA from Honda and the one aftermarket supplier I can find wants $100 for a set of 4. I'm a cheapskate and won't shell out for that. I plan on using either "universal" carb boots or buy a length of high temp silicone or rubber and make some boots. The boots are on the bike so I can't get my calipers on them to measure and I don't want to have the bike apart for long (that's how you lose parts, ask how I know) and I'd like to have everything I need before I begin. Does anyone has one loose on the shelf that they could measure for me? I'd really appreciate any help you guys might have for me. Thanks!

My first advice would be to confirm you have either the VD31A 49 state carbs or the VD32A Calf. carbs.

My 86 proved to have 84 VD56A Interceptor carbs, and unsurprisingly did not run. Because Honda made significant changes to the 86, compared to the 84-85, but all three years looked the same, owners applied the " If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it must be a duck" theory to parts, which is partially true but not with carbs, valve springs and other important bits.

I don't have spare boots to measure but I do have some truly in bad shape VD31A's for spares. The intake OD is 36mm and where the clamp goes on is a 9 mm shelf, if you double that and add say 18mm for the middle bit you are probably close.

Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

You still have original boots? Just that they're rock hard? There's way to restore them to fresh suppleness. I did mine about 10-years ago when they were rock-hard and got them back to brand-new softness. Still just as soft today.

Yes there IS way to restore oils back into rubber that have evaporated over time. You’ll need:

- bottle isopropyl alcohol +90%
- small 4oz bottle Oil of Wintergreen (methyl salicylate)
- small bottle glycerin 
- some empty glass jars (peanut butter, jam, etc)

Pour into glass jar:

1-part Oil of Wintergreen
1-part glycerin
3-parts alcohol

Stir well and drop in your rock-hard rubber part so it’s completely submerged. Screw jar lid on and let sit for 1-4 days depending upon hardness. Shake jar regularly if you see separation. Remove rubber and wipe off excess fluid. That’s it! Soft pliable rubber just like new!!!

Note: use nitrile gloves to handle. Large doses of methyl salycilate can be poisonous.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, FromMaine said:

My 86 proved to have 84 VD56A Interceptor carbs, and unsurprisingly did not run.

I built my VF500F race bike with a 86 engine and the bigger 84 carbs.  Ran fucking great until I eventually floated a valve into submission (it actually still ran great, I only discovered the valve stem damage doing a valve check).  It now has a 84 engine.  The 84 has a meaner tone, but my fastest lap was with the 86.

Archived