Stator wires are cooking

gmtech94

• Member Contributer

I have VFR madness 's bike and putting it back together after a few years . Replaced stator as it failed the drill with new oem one . New regulator and super clean connections ,bike has VFRness on it already . After reassembly the yellow stator wires get really hot . Voltage at rest 12.7 , idle 14.6 and at % k 14.8 volts . Unhook Vfrness and voltage goes up to 15.1 at idle and 5 k . It is a 2005 and only has 8000 kms on it ,stored inside most of its life and a new battery . I changed out the battery from my St1300 and have the same situation . Closed up crimps to see if the heat would go down ,no change . Not sure if it is important but all the lights on this bike have been swapped out for Led's  .Kinda stumped on what to do next ,any suggestions ?

• Member Contributer

yes, if you use original-style shunt-type regulator (even in MOSFET version), it will still have to dissipate all unused power to ground and heat up wiring between stator to ground.

If you use new series-type regulator (SH847), it will only transmit as much power as being used. I get 2-3mph higher top-speed and 10% better MPG on any bike I retrofit with series-type regulator.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

. I get 2-3mph higher top-speed and 10% better MPG on any bike I retrofit with series-type regulator.

BS......

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, ShipFixer said:

New school regulator rectifier, or original?

Kinda what my curiosity would be.....

If the bike was wired to current art, Vfrness is not needed........

• Member Contributer

I have several new OEM regulators and with the border shut down trying to get a moffset one might be difficult . All the brand new regulators have the same effect .

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, gmtech94 said:

I have several new OEM regulators and with the border shut down trying to get a moffset one might be difficult . All the brand new regulators have the same effect .

If by OEM, you mean the original Honda one...that plus your LED's could be the issue.  But the VFRness should also help too.  

• Member Contributer

Yes original Honda ones . I have 4 of them plus the original one , all produce a lot of heat on those 3 yellow wires .

• Member Contributer

Add load(s), oem bulbs, heated grips &/or garments, extra running lights, etc.  Or try sourcing series type RR in Quebec(RM Stator)

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, gmtech94 said:

Ok Dude, step back....I' m going the blunt route..... first ---- Shit can the OEM R/R!!! It's the heart of a lot of problems.

Next.... replace with either the SH847AA or FH020AA Shindengen R/R from .....www.roadstercycle.com......... products are going across the border fine.

Install with no  OEM connector between the stator and R/R, either solder or a double overlapping butt style connector.

Then ditch the Vfrness. I'm sorry, but it doesn't help, when components decide to die, they are gonna die!

Wire to current art, then we can start from there.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 10/6/2020 at 8:48 AM, gmtech94 said:

What mello dude says......

FYI, Yamaha uses the FH020AA on several models including FJR, FJ-07, FJ-09, etc. and they don't have problems.... I picked up a used one (not fearing they were faulty) and installed on my Gen5.  You will need the proper connectors....  Eastern Beaver in Japan, I know stuff is flowing in from there.

Not sure if Roadster Cycle will ship here, you'd have to ask him.... use USPS to avoid courier brokerage fees, but it might take a coupla weeks.

If you're stuck, a small bribe and I can bring my spare set and R/R, you can replace it another day.  All you will need is some good wire to hook it all up.

My yellow stator wires appear to be 16ga (Honda what were you thinking?), Roadster Cycle's harness is 12ga.  Can't see why 14ga. to the stator wires to R/R wouldn't work... maybe go 12ga from R/R to battery.  I believe FJR has 14 ga. stator to R/R for reference.

Another note, RM Stator stuff is Chinese, for whatever that's worth.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Yep. You want a Shindengen SH847 Series R/R. You can go the Roadstercycle route, which contains everything and is a simple swap (I have his kits on 2 of my bikes). Or, you can find a 2014+ Suzuki V-Strom 1000 R/R, which is an SH847, and build your own kit. 

This is how you want to connect your new R/R. 

FE1CE15F-F2AE-4109-AC09-5DF53EBC0C7B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 10/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, gmtech94 said:

After reassembly the yellow stator wires get really hot .

Really hot is a wildly subjective term on the human scale... it would help if we had some C or F numbers to judge by...

• Member Contributer

I installed a Yamaha R1 Rec/Reg instead of the uniquely RC45 high
dollar Rec/Reg... this was after I went through 2 stock R/Rs at $227
each and 1 $300 stator and still I suffered the problem of low volts
to the point where the engine would hesitate and quit... only after I
give up on Honda's stuff and tried Yamaha's stuff did I have the joy
of finishing my ride...

RC45RecRegMod3.JPG

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I am going to order the Roadster Cycle fix . I have had a few of these bikes 5th and 6th gens and never had this problem but none with all led lights . That seems to be a problem . I have some heated grips to install but I am concerned that the original stator on this bike was really cooked after 8000 kms . I have gone over all the connections as there are no body parts on this bike so everything is in the open . Deoxit and make sure all is clean with a Qtip . Vfrness was installed before I got the bike . Voltage is stable but those wires sure get toasty about 140 degrees according to my thermal gun . While I am waiting for parts I will hook up my heated grips to see if that make a difference . Stay tuned .

Thanks to all for your help and advice .

• Member Contributer

Don't order the Roadstercycle install bracket. I have custom designed mount kits for the 6th gen for both the Fh020 and Sh847........

• Like 3