Indicator issue

Walker1

Hello guys, back again with another issue!

Really getting to learn this bike... 01 fifth gen with indicator issues.

I noticed they work fine when the weather is warm but when it's cold there is a delay between pushing the indicator and the flashing of the lights.

Something I have noticed is the delay happens only when I go from indicating left to indicating right. For example if I indicate left there will be an initial delay and then after canceling it if I indicate left there would not be a delay but there would be if I were to indicate right.

I checked the wires. There was a loose connection to the backlight which I fixed when I got the bike but did not resolve the issue.

Fuses look good, battery is good and there's a new R/R unit on her.

Looked at posts of similar issues and haven't found a solution not anyone mentioning this unilateral 

delay

• Member Contributer

Make sure all indicator globes are the correct type and wattage. This is very important as the relay flash timing is dependent on globe wattage.

The turn relay has no knowledge of left or right, it just flashes when Ground (Ground via the Left or Right side bulb filaments) is directed to it via your turn switch and the Gray wire.

There is a simple test you can do to verify your wiring and turn switch. Unplug the Turn Relay and with a shorting wire bridge the Gray wire and the Black/Brown wire at the relay socket. With Ignition to ON you can now select Left or Right turn and the associated lights will be fully on with no flash. If the test reveals any switch issues, a squirt of electrical lubricant like CRC-2-26 or WD-40 into the mechanism and contacts might help, if not then a switch replacement might be needed.

So if you're happy the switch is ok and the wiring and bulbs are ok, then just replace the turn relay, after 19 years it might be getting a little flaky!

Keep us posted on how you go.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

You can also replace with solid-state relay. Much more reliable and not temperature dependent. Also works with LED indicators if you get them in future.

5 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

You can also replace with solid-state relay. Much more reliable and not temperature dependent. Also works with LED indicators if you get them in future.

How do I go about this?

11 hours ago, Grum said:

Keep us posted on how you go.

Cheers

Will try this out!

• Member Contributer

I get conflicting info on whether 5th-gen comes with or without solid-state flasher. Does yours click when flashing? If so, it's old-style mechanical type.

Solid-state replacements exists for pretty much any bike. Trick is finding one with proper connector. Typically I just chop off wiring and solder in pigtail that fits new flasher. This one may fit 5th-gen without mods:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NO49SR0

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

I get conflicting info on whether 5th-gen comes with or without solid-state flasher. Does yours click when flashing? If so, it's old-style mechanical type.

Solid-state replacements exists for pretty much any bike. Trick is finding one with proper connector. Typically I just chop off wiring and solder in pigtail that fits new flasher. This one may fit 5th-gen without mods:

Definitely an old-style mechanical flasher relay in the 5G. They have a 3-pin connector but the 3rd pin is ground, and a 2-pin flasher as shown in your link will work well there. 

I would do this before you start changing parts. The dielectric grease inside the switch housing becomes very stiff with age. Take the switch housing apart and clean out the old dried up grease and Re-lube. I used a q-tip to remove the grease, wd-40 to clean and dissolve the grime and a spray silicone lube with a dab of some new dielectric grease. Works better than they did when I bought my 1998 new. I lived with the horrible turn signals for a long time.  Don’t fire the parts cannon just yet.. Clean and lube the switch. 

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, dschafer said:

Don’t fire the parts cannon just yet... 

Great words of wisdom!!!

On 10/6/2020 at 12:15 AM, DannoXYZ said:

https://m.louis.ie/artikel/electronic-flasher-unit-2-poles-fuer-honda-vfr-800-fi/10032271?list=a2693496b86112e5eb54afb3583e1f8c&filter_bike_id=0848 is this one suitable would you say?

Here in Ireland!

On 10/6/2020 at 4:40 AM, dschafer said:

Don’t fire the parts cannon just yet.

I have took the housing apart, gave it a spray down with electric contact cleaner, cleaned it with a q tip and a spray of wd40.. nothing changed unfortunately! Only difference is I have difficulty getting the back screw back in 😂

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Walker1 said:

What is this? I haven't a clue!

Its just a piece of wire that you can shove into the Turn Relay socket to link the wires I mentioned. This is explained in the Service Manual which I thought you had. Seriously, if this isn't making sense to you, might be best to have a reputable motorcycle electrician/mechanic look at these issues for you.

"There is a simple test you can do to verify your wiring and turn switch. Unplug the Turn Relay and with a shorting wire bridge the Gray wire and the Black/Brown wire at the relay socket. With Ignition to ON you can now select Left or Right turn and the associated lights will be fully on with no flash. If the test reveals any switch issues, a squirt of electrical lubricant like CRC-2-26 or WD-40 into the mechanism and contacts might help, if not then a switch replacement might be needed."

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Walker1 said:

https://m.louis.ie/artikel/electronic-flasher-unit-2-poles-fuer-honda-vfr-800-fi/10032271?list=a2693496b86112e5eb54afb3583e1f8c&filter_bike_id=0848 is this one suitable would you say?

Here in Ireland!

I have took the housing apart, gave it a spray down with electric contact cleaner, cleaned it with a q tip and a spray of wd40.. nothing changed unfortunately! Only difference is I have difficulty getting the back screw back in 😂

Yup, looks like that unit should fit. Plug looks right.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived