2014 snorkle, flapper and PAIR mods

chutta

Question

I've watched a few YouTube videos now on doing these  older circa 2002-3 VFRs showing generous ease of access with the tank coming up over 45 degrees.

My '14 moves maybe 3 inches up without restrictions, just enough to see the flapper.

Is there enough improvement to justify attempting these and what is involved to free up the tank?

The prev owner had the VIP maintenance contract and  documentation shows that the air filter was changed out at roughly 4 and 8k, though the 2 bolts at the rear of the tank let out that distinctive snap breaking them loose as if perhaps they had never prev been touched from the factory.

I only experience a minor stumble revving up from the bottom. At this point I probably will do the mods to see for myself the differences, particularly now than the bike has 23k+ on it

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Perhaps, if you unbolt the cable tether at the front of the tank you could get it to open up some more. 

• Member Contributer

No cable tether on my Gen 8. The tank moves freely up to about 45 degrees without a problem. Maybe the undertank breathers etc are incorrectly routed. Rear bolts don’t need to be touched unless removing the tank completely.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, chutta said:

My '14 moves maybe 3 inches up without restrictions, just enough to see the flapper.

Is there enough improvement to justify attempting these and what is involved to free up the tank?

That's strange. Have you removed the seat and the two black plastic side pieces? The tank will raise up as high as a 6gen and you can prop it up the same way. Beware the breather hose, take up its slack as you lower the tank.

• Member Contributer

Ah yes. I forgot to mention the plastic trim, thanks Grum. Be careful removing them. There are two slide out tabs, a rubber grommet and a couple of bolts holding them in place. There are also three rubber “buffers” inside them that can easily dislodge and drop into the “guts”, if you are too ham fisted. 

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, chutta said:

I've watched a few YouTube videos now on doing these  older circa 2002-3 VFRs showing generous ease of access with the tank coming up over 45 degrees.

The prev owner had the VIP maintenance contract and  documentation shows that the air filter was changed out at roughly 4 and 8k, though the 2 bolts at the rear of the tank let out that distinctive snap breaking them loose as if perhaps they had never prev been touched from the factory.

I only experience a minor stumble revving up from the bottom. At this point I probably will do the mods to see for myself the differences, particularly now than the bike has 23k+ on it

Hi Chutta.

I'd be very surprised if the air filter was replaced at 4 and 8k, as the service replacement interval for the OEM Air Filter is 16,000 miles! Would just be a waste of time and money!

Air Intake Flapper mod - Have done this to my 2014 for two reasons - 1. This system has been removed by Honda on the 2017 8gens. 2. I wanted to free up some space by removing the hardware and blocking the main vac hose for it. Since doing this some 20,000kms ago I have not noticed any degradation in performance, fueling or fuel economy. See the attached link.

Snorkel Mod - Forget it, tried this on my earlier 6gen and just caused greater induction noise.

Pair Mod - Take it or leave it. Has no effect on power, may help to minimize exhaust pop off during throttle off, especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust. Might help in tuning if fitting a power commander, and/or removing or bypassing O2 sensors. I have no real knowledge or experience when it comes to this area.

Your "minor stumble" might benefit from a Starter Valve check and balance, this can have a great effect on smoothness at small throttle opening.

As always, YMMV.

Cheers. 

Archived