These bikes aren't getting any younger...

..., so maybe it's time for some preventive maintenance.  My '95 turned 25 YO this year.  I bought it for my wife in 2000, so I know pretty much what has been done to it, and what hasn't been done.  Thinking about the upcoming off-season, I am contemplating what I ought to replace after 25 years.  Can I get from you guys your opinion on the following, please.

1. Radiator hoses.  Available from Samco in the UK.  I searched the forums, but not a common replacement.

2. Brake lines.  Available from various sources, including Galfer, which I've heard are good.

3. OIl.  Just kidding

Or anything else that seems reasonable to either replace or at least to purchase for the future.  As you know, many items are getting hard to find.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I would be most concerned about flushing the brake fluid in the brakes and clutch if that hasn't been done regularly. If you do the brake lines that would take care of that, for the brakes anyway.

1 hour ago, squirrelman said:

how many miles on the bike ?  it's easy to determine if rad hoses need replacement, being either too soft or too hard. total mileage matters more than years.

It has only 18K miles on it.  The hoses don't appear to have any issues, I'm just looking down the road.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, jefferson said:

I would be most concerned about flushing the brake fluid in the brakes and clutch if that hasn't been done regularly. If you do the brake lines that would take care of that, for the brakes anyway.

No problem there, did them this spring, although I had waited too long and the front MC was dry!  That's what happens when you move, I guess.  All good now.

These hoses can last a very long time. I'm gonna do mine simply.because if had them off so many times. It's the ends that are swelled. It can't hurt to do hoses and thermostat. Flush, flush, flush the brake fluid.

Everything ages out differently based on UV exposure, temperature, the elements, etc, all depends on how you stored this thing and the age more than the miles in my eyes. I'd buy a 50k mile garage kept bike over a carport kept bike with 10k miles any day.

Pull all the plastics off, check for signs of cracking, and reinforce with plastex or your epoxy of choice. These old fairings are unobtanium, and trying to get one paint matched will never look right. If you reinforce now, they'll give you many more years of trouble free service. Look around mounting points, corners, especially on the backside.

While they're off, look at the electrics. Pull connectors apart, clean, dielectric grease, put it back together. Update the reg/rec and hard solder or crimp the stator wires. Make sure the red connector on the main fuse isn't crispy looking.

Check all hoses as mentioned, you may end up decided to change out brake lines if they look bad, cheap and easy. 

Everything above sounds good to me, but I'd echo atx's thoughts about checking out the electrical system.  Look for wires that are worn or the casings are rubbed through or slightly charred.  Also check all screws, bolts, connectors, etc.  Anything that could have worked its way loose over the years.

• Member Contributer

If you go through the trouble to replace the coolant hoses under the carbs, I would replace the o-rings and gaskets on the pipes.

• Member Contributer
On 9/27/2020 at 3:40 PM, RidinSandy said:

Radiator hoses. 

There was a discussion about replacement hoses in here not long ago. Last spring? I can't find it. But I remember that hose sets are available and the v4 dreams website has a pretty good thread on the subject.  https://v4dreams.com/maintenance.html

Also, oil. Yes! You should definitely consider changing the oil. And filter too 😁

Thanks to all of you who had suggestions.  I appreciate it.  I have not made up my mind about the hoses, but I will take a better look at them when I have the tank and carbs off for cleaning in a couple of months.

Archived