5th Gen header to a 6th Gen? Any issues??

MJH

I picked up some slip ons for my 6th Gen, and the guy I got them from pointed out a fairly decent set of OEM headers for a 5th Gen available as well ... but I didn't move on them and they vanished.

Just wanted to confirm if would work with no issues? 5th Gen doesn't have the "pre-muffler w/CATs" is my understanding, but possibly still has the O2 ports? 

Any clarification here would help ... main concerns if just any fitment stuff ... outlet for the 6th Gen ends up in the same place etc?? Weight savings is the only advantage I assume? Still a stock header ... just on a bit of a diet??

Thanks one and all!!

Plus, I am thinking I may have an issue with the CAT in my 6th Gen exhaust, but kinda just a stab at a problem that recently came up.

Would prefer to not have that bulky CAT/pre-muffler thing, if it's not doing anything ... which it's not!  O2 sensors already bypassed, along with most any other emission type things that have no valuable function!

• Member Contributer

98-99 5th gen do not have the cat, 00-01 do. I installed a cat-less header on my 6th gen, wasn't a lot of trouble, a bit finicky to get to the pipes from the rear cylinders.This was years ago so my memory isn't perfect - iirc the throttle exhibited some lean symptoms, some surging at constant throttle, that sort of thing. PC3 and a tune cleaned that up. 

Was it worth it? Probably not if you're being completely rational and and looking at hp gain/$ or weight loss/$. But I enjoy modding my bike so it was worth it to me

You might want to check out the custom header thread - even better than a stock cat-less version

2 hours ago, jim v said:

98-99 5th gen do not have the cat, 00-01 do. I installed a cat-less header on my 6th gen, wasn't a lot of trouble, a bit finicky to get to the pipes from the rear cylinders.This was years ago so my memory isn't perfect - iirc the throttle exhibited some lean symptoms, some surging at constant throttle, that sort of thing. PC3 and a tune cleaned that up. 

Was it worth it? Probably not if you're being completely rational and and looking at hp gain/$ or weight loss/$. But I enjoy modding my bike so it was worth it to me

You might want to check out the custom header thread - even better than a stock cat-less version

Cool! Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm more into the tinkering with things, and doing mods as well. I considered aftermarket as well, but more of a "budget thing". Got this bike dirt cheap, and I'm not within 1k of hitting 70K ... so, I'm trying to keep it cheap for now.

In the long wrong, the suspension is where my work/time will go, and depending on how that ends up, I might try to find another lower mileage one, and then move all the modifications over to that bike. We shall see ... starting to go from this summer's project, to this winter's ... but out here in Cal/Bay Area, we don't really have a "winter". So don't like to have stuff apart/down to long a period of time! 

Thanks for the info though for sure ... least I know now what to keep an eye out for. The one I had seen, was something like between $50-100, and was an early 5th Gen ... so that fits this bike's budget much better than say a $300-800 header!!

Archived