Engine-cut switch needs to be reset twice

HareBrain

Today I pulled ahead of all the cars at a closed railway crossing, decided to be socially responsible, and cut the engine using the switch. Train went past, I pressed the starter, nothing. Again, and more nothing. So I panicked and pushed the bike to the side of the road to let all the cars I'd just overtaken go past, which was pretty embarrassing.

Eventually I discovered that (1) I can't have used the engine-cut switch since I bought the bike last year, and (2) it always takes two switches back and forth to let the bike restart. The first time, there's no noise at all; the second you can hear the whine of the (I assume, I'm an engineering dunce) fuel pump.

I'm not going to mess around with the electrics myself (I can service a bicycle, is about all), and now I know the issue, I can easily live with it. But it seems weird that it always needs two goes. Can anyone account for that? If it's something simple I can get it done at the next service.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Today I pulled ahead of all the cars at a closed railway crossing, decided to be socially responsible, and cut the engine using the switch. Train went past, I pressed the starter, nothing. Again, and more nothing. So I panicked and pushed the bike to the side of the road to let all the cars I'd just overtaken go past, which was pretty embarrassing.

Eventually I discovered that (1) I can't have used the engine-cut switch since I bought the bike last year, and (2) it always takes two switches back and forth to let the bike restart. The first time, there's no noise at all; the second you can hear the whine of the (I assume, I'm an engineering dunce) fuel pump.

I'm not going to mess around with the electrics myself (I can service a bicycle, is about all), and now I know the issue, I can easily live with it. But it seems weird that it always needs two goes. Can anyone account for that? If it's something simple I can get it done at the next service.

Agree with Fink, most likely some form of dirt or whatever in the mechanism, and given the switch is facing upwards probably doesn't help.

Try exercising the switch many times with the Ignition OFF. Then, with Ignition to ON, operate the switch, take note of hearing the Fuel Pump prime EVERY time you go from OFF to RUN with the Kill Switch.

I've not had one of these apart, but perhaps a light squirt of WD-40 or similar might help. BUT if you don't have the situation when EVERY time you go from OFF to RUN you hear the Fuel Pump prime, then your going to have to get the switch or its wiring sorted ASAP!

Good Luck.

9 hours ago, Grum said:

Try exercising the switch many times with the Ignition OFF. Then, with Ignition to ON, operate the switch, take note of hearing the Fuel Pump prime EVERY time you go from OFF to RUN with the Kill Switch.

I've not had one of these apart, but perhaps a light squirt of WD-40 or similar might help

Thanks guys -- exercising the switch and WD40 seems to have worked.

Archived