Flat battery

Blocky

• Member Contributer

Went to start the bike one morning and the battery was flat jumped from the car started first time, road all day with the lights off, bike restarted several times after breaks ,had the lights on for the last bit of the ride then engine cut out at traffic lights and wouldn’t restart, battery now fully charged showing 13.4 volts regardless of engine running or not Any clues where the fault might lie. 

• Member Contributer

Load test the battery - it will likely fail.  Resting voltage is not indicative of a healthy battery.

Just curious - how did you turn the headlights off and on?

• Member Contributer

Honda have put a light switch on the handlebars. And I live in England so I guess the specifications are different to North America. I can run with no lights on.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Blocky said:

Greetings, the VFR is a2001 , 60000 miles , battery age not know I’ve owned it for 3 and half years.  So probably 4 years.  
All the best Paul 

Hi Paul.

OK then, given the age of the battery, as Cogswell suggested a load check of the battery should be done. And given the age of your bike, a close inspection of the Stator output connector into the R/R and the Output from the R/R conector, as well as a close look at both Maim Fuses for overheated Fuses, wiring and connections.

Your charging system doesn't sound right as you state 13.4v at the battery engine running or not!  You should be seeing around 13.5 to 14.5v with engine running. This can be caused by a failing Stator, R/R or poor connections as mentioned. Go through "The Drill" below to diagnose your charging system.

Do you have the Service Manual? It can be downloaded from the forum.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all your advice and help guys. When I bought the Vfr I also bought a secondhand rectifier which I found in the garage and fitted last night, obviously someone’s had a problem with burnt out connections on my bike there was a cable jump across a connector , I fitted it and now getting over 14 V, I’ve ordered a new battery as well as mine is got to be 4 years plus and for under £30 Can’t see a down side. On a completely separate subject my bike is a 2001 and only has one light until you put high beam on and then obviously has two, my friend has a 1999 VFr anniversary addition and he has two on at dipped, I have checked the cabling and it doesn’t look like the right hand side .bulb comes on until high beam does anyone know if that’s normal

• Member Contributer
57 minutes ago, Blocky said:

On a completely separate subject my bike is a 2001 and only has one light until you put high beam on and then obviously has two, my friend has a 1999 VFr anniversary addition and he has two on at dipped, I have checked the cabling and it doesn’t look like the right hand side .bulb comes on until high beam does anyone know if that’s normal

Suggest your R/H Low Beam filament is blown. Both left and right beams should be operating. You should be seeing 12v at both left and right bulb sockets White/Black wires.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, measure resistance of both low & high-beam filaments on that bulb. I've seen plenty of cases where filament looks intact, but doesn't actually conduct any electricity due to break somewhere not visible. Testing resistance with multimeter absolutely confirms 100% it is or is not working. No guessing or eyeballing needed.

Also measure voltage at RH bulb-socket. Should have +power on low-beam terminal. Again 100% confirmation it is or is not working.

And unlike guessing and eyeballing, meter-readings can be transmitted across internet for objective review by others. For example:
- rh socket, high-beam terminal = +13v

- rh socket, low-beam terminal = +13v    is completely different than...

- rh socket, low-beam terminal = 0v

- rh bulb, high-beam filament = 3 ohms

- rh bulb, low-beam filament = 0 ohms or 3 ohms

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes you are correct the bulb was fault. It looked like there was only two cables going to the connection as two were taped together. So the bikes all good now. Just a shame the English weather has got very Autumnal, very wet and about 10 deg. 

Archived