2003 vfr800 please help

cop1977

my lights won't come on the only lights what are on is the side lights and everything else works theres nothing wrong with the fuses or the switches or the bulbs there is no buzzing and today I ad to get a new battery as it was dead this morning out off the blue

• Member Contributer
On 19 September 2020 at 5:50 AM, cop1977 said:

my lights won't come on the only lights what are on is the side lights and everything else works theres nothing wrong with the fuses or the switches or the bulbs there is no buzzing and today I ad to get a new battery as it was dead this morning out off the blue

You could have a faulty Starter Switch - The switch has two sets of contacts. 1 - To activate the starter relay. 2 - To disable the lighting relays while the Starter Button is pressed.

Sometimes this switch can become sticky and does not re-activate the lighting relays on release. Try squirting some WD-40 or similar into the starter switch and exercise the switch (Ignition to OFF).

Other than that, you may need to access the Lo Beam Relay to measure voltages and grounds to determine the relay operation. 

Does your bike have a Passing Switch (Hi Beam Flash)?

Also seeing your battery was dead, check your charging voltage. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Engine running you should be seeing around 13.5 - 14.5v directly measured at the battery.

Do you have a wiring diagram or Service Manual? You can download the Service Manual from the Downloads menu of this forum.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Archived