dealership request.

cptultor

Hello all! 

just purchased myself a 2014 VFR1200FD-E having a blast with it but i've had some cold start issues lately which indicate towards MAP sensor (using the MIL lights to diagnose) 

i got off the phone to my local dealership recently who have requested, from cold (when it works) i let the bike idle to operating temperature until the fan kicks in then to shut the bike off?

does this sound like a maintenance/fault finding exercise. what do you believe this does in terms of calibrating or resetting anything?

many thanks in advance guys and ladies! 

• Member Contributer

yeah do DCT reset first. Then see if MIL comes back.

Could very well have vacuum-leak that throws off MAP-sensor readings.

1. connect vacuum-tester with rubber-T to MAP-sensor input and get readings for cold-start and after warm-up

2. measure MAP-sensor output voltage at cold-start and after warm-up.

Could also be malfunctioning MAP-sensor that's sending out erroneous data to ECU. Thus the MIL.

Cold-start enrichment is triggered by IAT and ECT. They tell ECU engine/coolant is cold and it'll richen-up mixtures by +20% or more for easier starting. Measure resistance of those sensors and verify it's correct for various temperatures (0C, 50C, 100C, etc.)

Any other driveability issues? Stumbling when you crack open throttle from idle? Unstable idle?

hello all.

Thanks for your replies. the bike runs really well aside from the cold start issue:

The bike will turn over seemingly easily on the starter however it will only turn over and not start, until i either twist throttle or crank it over for 10 seconds which starts the MIL light ( which i believe is the bike Enabling the failsafe pressure for the map sensor).

As soon as i've got 1-2 bars on the temp gauge i can start the bike with no issues and no MIL lights. 

have either of you heard of anything like this before?

i've performed what the dealership has told me to do, so i will need to report my findings as this problem is intermittent

• Member Contributer

You may have to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect, and start the bike without ever touching the throttle, and let it cycle the fans at least once. That should reset the ECU. Make sure you do not touch the throttle! If you cannot do it when cold, try it in the afternoon, or after the bike is warmed up a bit.

Archived