Rescuing a '92 VFR750F

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

Can you hire the electrolysis unit,or was it something you already had. Amazing improvement

It’s just a battery charger ….look on YouTube there’s lots of videos

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

Can you hire the electrolysis unit,or was it something you already had. Amazing improvement

I've dabbled in electronics from when i was a kid so I've always had random stuff like power supplies laying around.  Most people just use an older car battery charger that doesn't have all the smart tech stuff in it.

• Member Contributer
On 8/9/2021 at 6:33 PM, YoshiHNS said:

:excl: DO NOT USE KREEM!!!!!!

That stuff is junk most of the time. Better option is the POR-15 kit. Otherwise, see my earlier post.

I second that motion.  Kreem ends up failing and wreaking havoc with your petcock and carbs.  POR or Red-Kote are two much better options.  Or nothing at all once it's all cleaned up and fogged.  Keep a full tank and it won't rust.

Finally got the petcock freed up. The gunk that was packed in to this thing was nasty. all the crap from the bottom of the tank. Dental pick and lots of ultrasonic bath time. 

Now I get those satisfying clicks of the bearing when on and off. 

Now I just need a new pickup tube and gasket. 

F1175C0B-990B-409F-9FBF-6A4D454DB180.thumb.jpeg.c9d060ba5562fe6b4d2a07f1ddfc1ef2.jpeg

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, damionj said:

What do you mean by “fogged”?  First I’ve heard the term. 

I think it's referring to fogging oil, often sprayed in to the cylinders of engines that will not be used for long periods.  It's intent is to stick to the metal to prevent rust.  Hence the follow on comment about keeping the tank full and it won't rust.  I do that with non-ethanol fuel with stabilizer and change it out several times per year and the tank is pristine inside. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I think it's referring to fogging oil, often sprayed in to the cylinders of engines that will not be used for long periods.  It's intent is to stick to the metal to prevent rust.  Hence the follow on comment about keeping the tank full and it won't rust.  I do that with non-ethanol fuel with stabilizer and change it out several times per year and the tank is pristine inside. 

Cogswell is spot on - that's what I meant.  Once you clean a tank, it's prone to flash rust fairly quickly, so spraying a fogging oil to cover the bare metal will prevent that from happening.

2 hours ago, tomk1960 said:

Cogswell is spot on - that's what I meant.  Once you clean a tank, it's prone to flash rust fairly quickly, so spraying a fogging oil to cover the bare metal will prevent that from happening.

That’s what I was getting back from google. I was planning on flushing the tank with a bit of gas and two 2-cycle oil. 

CALLING ALL PARTS HORDERS!  

Well, the petcock assembly is just not available.  While I could clean the metal bits, and the valve itself works, the pickup screen tubes are toast.  So I have to buy a whole new petcock assembly (P/N 16950-MT4-671).  Guess what's not available anywhere?  Yep... that part.

Anyone have one laying around the could part with?  If there's a different part of the forums that I should post parts requests in, let me know.

I'm open to figuring out a way to adapt a universal, but I'm pretty sure that involves cutting and welding a new mount on the tank.

May need to send off to Japan to get one.

HONDA OEM Motorcycle parts : PETCOCK ASSY. 16950-MT4-671 [16950MT4671] (webike.net)

PETCOCK ASSY. 16950-MT4-671

I went to David Silver Spares USA website and looked and found it NLA.

According to David Silver Spares website: 

"Part number 16950-MT4-671
has been superceded by

Part number 16950-MT4-P00"

If this is true then Bike Bandit has one of the replacement PNs. but it states that it's for a 1993 VFR750F.

I'm going to visit my favorite motorcycle salvage yard tomorrow but I don't think there are any '92 VFR750Fs there. I will look though.

33 minutes ago, Kbear said:

May need to send off to Japan to get one.

HONDA OEM Motorcycle parts : PETCOCK ASSY. 16950-MT4-671 [16950MT4671] (webike.net)

PETCOCK ASSY. 16950-MT4-671

I went to David Silver Spares USA website and looked and found it NLA.

According to David Silver Spares website: 

"Part number 16950-MT4-671
has been superceded by

Part number 16950-MT4-P00"

If this is true then Bike Bandit has one of the replacement PNs. but it states that it's for a 1993 VFR750F.

I'm going to visit my favorite motorcycle salvage yard tomorrow but I don't think there are any '92 VFR750Fs there. I will look though.

Thanks for trying on the links. 

a motorcycle salvage yard would be awesome. I totally forgot to check my one local pick-n-pull. That’s a day trip though. 

if webike actually has it, probably worth it to go that route. 

thanks!

On 8/14/2021 at 9:13 PM, Kbear said:

Well, my WeBike order went from "checking inventory" to "processing", so I've got that going for me... which is nice!  Still no idea if that means it's actually going to ship.

1 hour ago, damionj said:

Well, my WeBike order went from "checking inventory" to "processing", so I've got that going for me... which is nice!  Still no idea if that means it's actually going to ship.

Well, that's a step in the right direction at least - right? You could always contact Customer Service to make sure the order has gone through. You should be getting a Tracking Number as soon as the order ships. I know what it feels like not knowing. Kinda scary being in limbo. That's why a contact to Customer Service might be in order. Sounds as though your order went through. You did get a confirmation email right? If so then it should be okay. Yes, now waiting for that ship from Japan. 😉 

9 minutes ago, Kbear said:

You did get a confirmation email right?

I did get a confirmation.  So... it's moving along.

Now I'm just trying to figure out the air vent hoses for the carbs and how they run under the plenum mounting plate.  The service manual is helpful... but doesn't tell me size of hoses and stuff.

16 minutes ago, damionj said:

I did get a confirmation.  So... it's moving along.

Now I'm just trying to figure out the air vent hoses for the carbs and how they run under the plenum mounting plate.  The service manual is helpful... but doesn't tell me size of hoses and stuff.

Will Parts Schematics and part numbers give you that info?????

I just looked and it doesn't.

Damn it!  Thought we had it solved. That petcock must really be NLA. I didn't make it to the motorcycle bone yard like I said I would. I was there not long ago and I know there isn't any VFR750F stuff. If there were it probably wouldn't last long. Surely that petcock was used on another motorcycle it couldn't be exclusive to that particular '92 VFRF750F right?

Do you use craigslist? If you do you could put out a WTB on there. You never know. Stranger things have happened.

24 minutes ago, Kbear said:

That petcock must really be NLA

I have seen it pop up occasionally on tanks for sale on eBay. No guarantee that the pickups are in good condition.  Might have to look into that deeper, get the part off an eBay tank and then resell the tank. 

• Member Contributer

I paged through the parts fiche for the later carb'd bikes from early to late '90's before the switch to FI began in earnest.  ST's, Magnas, Shadows and others still seem to have petcocks available.  They don't look the same, but it might be some creative adaptation could be made to work or maybe the pieces you need could be harvested from one.  Each bike seems to have its own unique design, I suppose due to the shape of or access to each tank.  It sucks that such a critical piece is MIA from Honda.  Not sure why the run on VFR petcocks when others remain available. 

Archived