Rescuing a '92 VFR750F

You have the rest of the air box and top part of the carburetors with the velocity stacks? I have the same bike btw Granite Blue 👍

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, ridervfr said:

You have the rest of the air box and top part of the carburetors with the velocity stacks? I have the same bike btw Granite Blue 👍

I picked all that up off eBay pretty cheap. 🙂

Finally drilled out the lock on the tank. Old gas smell is no fun. Looks like tanks aren’t all that expensive on eBay. I think a replacement is in order. I don’t feel like trying to get the tank clean. 

7B696384-9CDA-4B5D-9CD5-791D0A24BF2F.jpeg

CDD78DBD-87C8-4082-9DA1-BDCB86DC00E2.jpeg

You need a tank, you going to make a mismatched "Frankenstein" bike? My 91 was that way until a friend shamed me into painting it. Its a 91 but was bought with 92 livery colour. My 93 was bought with a tank like yours, they installed a new pet cock thinking that would solve their problems I guess (it did'nt) it did save the bike from any use which was a good thing. I bought it with 15,000 miles as a rolling bike that turned over, thats all I knew. I got a replacement gas tank fairly quickly for it on Ebay and used it for years. I ended up buying a another tank on Ebay as it was way nice without a hideous dent that looked real ugly. So, my 93 is on its 3rd tank LOL crazy chit. There are alot of tanks out there you wont have a problem, I am holding on to my old white one for what ever reason (there was someone that sold me a used Penske shock to these style bikes years ago off CL, I called his number because I wanted to buy his rolling parts bike, number was out of order, I am trying to replay the tape in my head to find the warehouse district he worked out. Anyway, PEaCe and happy wrenching/riding.

122118 (1).jpg

On 11/11/2020 at 8:46 AM, ridervfr said:

You need a tank, you going to make a mismatched "Frankenstein" bike?

I have no problems with a frankenstein bike.  I'll probably keep this tank to play with de-rust options, but buy a refurbished off ebay.  They aren't than expensive.  Once I get a nice running bike (I also was "given" a rolling bike that turned over) I'm get all the plastics and the tank fixed up so it looks good.  I haven't decided on a color scheme, yet, but that's a ways off.

• 7 months later...

After what seems like forever, I have uncovered this project and am ready to continue. I pulled all the parts out of the box and tried to remember where I left off.

First up is tank rust removal. I’m going to give electrolysis a try to see if I can keep the original fuel tank. 

Hopefully I can get that set up in the next day or two. 

6384FD98-E042-4D8A-90CD-44E0699BE156.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Good luck with the tank.  The sad part about that is that it's completely avoidable.  With the tank empty on my '99, it looks factory new inside.  Non-ethanol fuel, Stabil and a change of fuel before winter has prevented the rusting issues. 

1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

Good luck with the tank.  The sad part about that is that it's completely avoidable.  With the tank empty on my '99, it looks factory new inside.  Non-ethanol fuel, Stabil and a change of fuel before winter has prevented the rusting issues. 

I'm just hoping I don't end up with a swiss cheese tank full of pin holes.

• Member Contributer

I've had good luck with CLR followed by an isopropyl rinse and hair dryer drying. Just leave it in for a few days and shake it every so often. 

• 1 month later...

Today I had proof of life!  First I tried to feed some fuel through the carbs and get it to fire.  The fuel pump works fine and fuel got to the carbs with no problem, but staring was a no go.  The first bowl over flowed and I think the floats are all stuck... so I'm going to have to pull the carbs and take a look.

Grabbed a can of starter fluid.  Before I really got into the carbs, I wanted to know if the engine would fire.  Sure enough... it did!  It started right up on the first try just tapping the starter.  She wants to run.  Hearing it even only for a brief moment was fantastic!

So, the next step... deciding if I want to have the carbs rebuilt or take on the task myself.  I've done carbs for race cars and lawn mowers... so this shouldn't be too bad.  We'll see... I've got a couple leads on having the carbs rebuilt (some from this forum!).

(I still haven't touched the rust in the tank yet.)

Picked up a Kreem liner kit for the tank today. Thought I’d help out and run some electrolysis for a bit first. This is what it looked like seconds after I turned on the power supply. 

7952A6F4-3BA3-43AE-85E8-D6BEDB04BD66.jpeg

C026E314-742E-4C5F-A5F5-6A4A1A976FBE.jpeg

• Member Contributer

:excl: DO NOT USE KREEM!!!!!!

That stuff is junk most of the time. Better option is the POR-15 kit. Otherwise, see my earlier post.

Congrats on having it fire over. I've you've been in one carb you've been through them all. Just make sure all the passages and jets are clear and there isn't leftover residue on the needle and stuff. Don't forget to clean the choke assembly. Can always bench test to make sure there aren't any leaks. Just don't break the carbs out individually. Keep them together.

16 minutes ago, YoshiHNS said:

Just don't break the carbs out individually. Keep them together.

Oh yeah… gonna keep them together. 

I’ve heard / read both ways on Kreem vs POR.  I’m tempted to not use the liner and just rinse with 2-cycle oil and a little gas after the acid. The inside of the tank looked to be in pretty bad shape, so we’ll see if it’s even salvageable first.  

• Member Contributer

I put some zinc based etching primer in the tank and ran it around the inside 

After 16 hours of electrolysis, I can see the bottom of the tank! I couldn’t resist dumping and taking a look. I remixed my solution and dumped in a dress 5 gallons. Added another anode to increase surface area. 

Science is fun!

Also got the carbs off and will start that cleaning. Time to fire up the ultrasonic. 

23C2125C-8EBD-4A24-8057-D9A416EB367B.jpeg

7FD45D91-2BE6-4600-A3E7-4898230E218E.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Looking good.  The carbs definitely need some help.  It's amazing what happens to gasoline over time.

Spent yesterday and today doing carb work. Got it all back together and couldn’t wait until tomorrow to get it back on the bike, now affectionately know as “Vera”. 

I am beyond ecstatic. To hear her purr even for a moment on the dribble of fuel I gave her… 

The progress these past few days has been amazing. Just wish electrolysis on the tank wouldn’t take so long. It sits there mocking me. 

• Member Contributer

I've done numerous tanks using this method with good luck.  Keep at it and be patient - it will clean up nicely.

20 minutes ago, tomk1960 said:

I've done numerous tanks using this method with good luck.  Keep at it and be patient - it will clean up nicely.

Now that the bulk of the rust is out, I’m switching to a full immersion tank. With the tank submerged upside down, it should get the underside of the top. 

patience is not my strong quality, but I’m learning. 

• Member Contributer

Can you hire the electrolysis unit,or was it something you already had. Amazing improvement

Archived