Rescuing a '92 VFR750F

Hi All!

First timer on these boards, please be kind as I jump back into building a bike and riding. I joined up because I found a 1992 VFR750F leaning on the side of a friend's garage.  Not the worst shape I've seen for a bike, but nowhere near great.  I'm looking forward to giving it a new life with me.  I've not ridden for many years, but couldn't pass up the "just take it" deal I got.  The keys it came with don't fit anything on it, so I'm starting there.  Once I get them, I can pop the seat and start to see what they thought they were doing with the carbs.  I'm giving myself an arbitrary timeline.  I'd like to ride it by next spring, even if it isn't completely finished.  

I'm sure it will buff out. 

20200918_004047637_iOS.thumb.jpg.1d1c87a7ca9c2bb99679a4cb9a376aa0.jpg

20200918_004032671_iOS.thumb.jpg.12e5f3127cb11fe0065077609dfa760c.jpg

20200918_004028888_iOS.thumb.jpg.a50d670a756320705afd15af3cf4faaf.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Good luck with yor project; looks like you've got most if not all of the body panels so that is a great start. I'm guessing from the registration sticker on the fork that this hasn't been roadworthy for 12 years or so? If so you will be getting very familiar with the carbs, tank and fuel system but there's plenty of experience around here. 

• Member Contributer

Always glad to see a 3rd gen rescued - there are getting to be very few about.  Check the plastics carefully for cracks or other issues and be kind to them - essentially impossible to find. Plastfix can repair cracked or  broken tabs - youtube has diy vids on the subject.   Once you get the gas cap open,  see what's going on inside - bad gas will be a project - rust in the tank  an even bigger one.   Keep us updated.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

12 years ago could mean no ethanol in the fuel and thus - fingers crossed- the carbs might just be ok....

Just refurbished a 750 that stood idle for 5 years (fuel w/o ethanol) and with fresh feule and filter she runs great. same with a 5th gen fi, no problemo.

no keys....... One you can unkook the seat unsing a bendy coat hanger, you ccan remove the lock cilinder and read the key code of it..

gotta run now, will be back later

Congrats on scoring a free VFR and welcome to the forum!!  🙂

Tons of great information and people here, many with a passion for working on their machines.  You might even find folks willing to give you a hand or send you something you need to complete your VFR.  Have fun and good luck with it!

• Member Contributer

Joe @ V4dreams.com has nearly all the information you’ll need about stripping the carbs and much more 

Wow... thanks for the welcome.  Right now, it's mostly complete so I got lucky there.  

I have a bendy coat hanger... will investigate seat removal.  

I mentioned the carbs because there appear to be rags in the intake... maybe that means they were trying to be nice to it and keep it clean?  Of course, it could have attracted rodents, too.  I just hope I don't have to tear the entire engine down to clean it inside an out.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, damionj said:

I'm sure it will buff out. 

It's gorgeous. You're making a joke about buffing up, but it really can be brought back to life. We can't tell much from the pictures you've posted so far but it should have plenty of potential. Your back wheel alone is catnip to lots of folks around here. Don't throw out anything. Well, maybe old tires and filters... You might have trouble finding bits you think need to be replaced. And many of those old bits can be rejuvenated. Your concern about tearing down the engine are well founded but you'll learn that major engine issues are not typical even for a neglected vfr. It's a Honda! 😉 With luck and a little patience you might end up with a great ride.

The guys here have been helping me for a couple years now. They still are. Keep us posted.

Found a coat hanger and was able to hook the latch for the seat.  Keys are on order.  The layers of... stuff... though... I really didn't want to pull the engine for cleaning, but I might just be easier to get it out at a good working height to get all the nooks and crannies...  I guess that will make it easier to work on the frame clean up too.

It's not all doom and gloom, the tool set is intact!

20200918_170020419_iOS.thumb.jpg.840dae4fecb054b1acf6fe4427c813c5.jpg

20200918_170029044_iOS.thumb.jpg.850e1a9af433ddc69c15f79d4ef38c73.jpg

20200918_170421454_iOS.thumb.jpg.40964a5cd87fe99020af3379d0a216f3.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow - I've never seen anything quite like that.  The filth seems to have gotten in to the carb bores - crazy. Was it in a flood?   Definitely don't want any of that getting in to the motor.  I seem to recall someone removing a 3rd gen motor by laying the bike on its side then once unbolted  lifting the frame off.   This is going to be an interesting rescue.  How does the inside of the tank look? 

• Member Contributer

How did you order keys? 
Is there a key-code somewhere that you can send to dealers and they cut matching key?

1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

How does the inside of the tank look? 

No idea... that key doesn’t work either. I’ll have to drill the cylinder and replace it... unless I can pick it. It’s only four tumblers, I think. 

1 hour ago, COS_VFR said:

Was the airbox attached to the carbs??

airbox? What airbox? Going to have to acquire or 3D print a new one. 

1 hour ago, DannoXYZ said:

How did you order keys? 
Is there a key-code somewhere that you can send to dealers and they cut matching key?

Found a guy on eBay.  We chatted back and forth a bit. He said no problem. We’ll see if the keys work. I just provided year, make, model and cylinder code. This obviously won’t work if you have HISS as you’ll need a matched key and ECU. 

Not sure about the linking policies on this forum, so mods can remove if not allowed. 

https://m.ebay.com/seller?sid=cyclekeysonline

• Member Contributer

You can jump the ignition out at the harness connector if you want to save the effort of drilling it out. But you seem to be a long way from worrying about the key working. Good luck. I'd be real curious how much of that dirt got it's way into the engine.

Did you check the oil? Is that dirty with dirt too?

• Member Contributer

I think the first thing that I would do is get a shop vac and suck as much dirt out of the carbs, and intake ports as possible. I wouldn't even try and turn the crank until as much dirt as possible is pulled from the intake ports and any open intake valves.

10 minutes ago, COS_VFR said:

I think the first thing that I would do is get a shop vac and suck as much dirt out of the carbs, and intake ports as possible. I wouldn't even try and turn the crank until as much dirt as possible is pulled from the intake ports and any open intake valves.

No doubt. Working on a slow tear down and then cleaning. Shopvac and an air compressor will do wonders. 

31 minutes ago, YoshiHNS said:

Did you check the oil? Is that dirty with dirt too?

Oil looks clean, just smells a bit... stale? Not burnt though. If it hasn’t run since ‘08, I won’t know about gaskets until I run it. But, that’s a long ways off. 

• Member Contributer

Nice.  Looks like you've got an ultra-rare un-cut rear fender, the unobtanium seat cowl, a Sargent seat (with the '90s-spec purple "piping"), most if not all of the original fairings and the original exhaust!

The paint color, by the way, is called "Granite Blue Metallic", code PB-184M.  (Most people think it's black.)  Have fun.

https://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/Bvfr750fl-p-mi.htm

https://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/Brochures_RC36.htm

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Joe @ V4dreams.com has nearly all the information you’ll need about stripping the carbs and much more 

Yeah, Joe has some good parts for rebuilding those carbs,  great resource. Sounds like you've got it handled, good luck. I took a 93 in almost as bad shape and it's maybe my favorite runner now. Took a little work but they come back to life amazingly, well worth the effort.

• Member Contributer

That’s not mud, it looks like sawdust 

The throttle butterflies will be shut as well as the slides being closed, you should be able to vac the dust out

The air filter fits onto an alloy plenum chamber, you should be able to get one on eBay no problem 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, JZH said:

Looks like you've got an ultra-rare un-cut rear fender

Let's hope it's just about an inch of sawdust. I'm not getting a flooded out vibe from your pictures. I hope not. But no matter. There's a great renovation story of a flooded 3rd generation bike in the forum. If you get daunted, look at bdouvill's write up from the south of France.

Meanwhile, if you're tempted to cut the rear fender down for a more contemporary look, you might think of scrounging a cut one off Ebay. They're around for not much money. As JZH says, the uncut fenders are non-existent. You can put yours on a shelf. Ya never know when it'll turn to gold. Just a thought.

You guys are great!  The carbs look clean. Got an air compressor today just to clean all this off. Past the butterfly, the cards are spotless. Looks like it was just dust and saw dust. 

next step... meticulously pulling the engine. 

11210429-A980-4EEA-A15D-6EBDA56E4F91.jpeg

Archived