cam regrind 6th Gen

lplplplp

• Member Contributer

Anybody at all ever seen a cam regrind done on the VTEC engine?

I get that its a little bit more specialized but I have search high and low and not even a mention any where on the interballs.

maybe there is not much to be had - ports/tracts all need work to take advantage??

• Member Contributer

I think for the money you'd invest in having the engine work done, most people would just buy a faster bike. If you really want to chase horsepower, the 5th Gen engine can be made to fit with relative ease and the power gains are much more accessible since much of the architecture was based on the RC45.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, lplplplp said:

I get that its a little bit more specialized but I have search high and low and not even a mention any where on the interballs.

maybe there is not much to be had - ports/tracts all need work to take advantage??

Just supercharge it! :wheel::beer:

• Member Contributer

The only cam regrind I know of was on a 5th gen - but it included some serious other mods to match the cams - out of the skillset of most of us. 

The other possibility is a Rapid Bike - for a knowledgeable tuner that can work with the timing as well as fueling, more midrange can be had if you're willing to run premium fuel. 

Honestly most of us could probably go quicker just by going on a diet . . . :rolleyes:   Close to 40 pounds can be shaved off the bike if the owner loses 20, another 12 or so with VFRD headers and aftermarket cans and a lithium battery for the rest.  Pick up a 40 pound object and then imagine your 781cc not having to lug that around - it's significant! 

• Member Contributer
On 9/17/2020 at 5:53 AM, Cogswell said:
The only cam regrind I know of was on a 5th gen - but it included some serious other mods to match the cams - out of the skillset of most of us. 

The other possibility is a Rapid Bike - for a knowledgeable tuner that can work with the timing as well as fueling, more midrange can be had if you're willing to run premium fuel. 

Honestly most of us could probably go quicker just by going on a diet . . . :rolleyes:   Close to 40 pounds can be shaved off the bike if the owner loses 20, another 12 or so with VFRD headers and aftermarket cans and a lithium battery for the rest.  Pick up a 40 pound object and then imagine your 781cc not having to lug that around - it's significant! 

I agree with everything including the suspension mods comments I was just curious because I had never read about it. I do not agree with the comment about losing weight ... lost anymore weight i would literally implode .

Probably won't go down the route of doing any serious engine mods But asked simply because of I haven't seen Anything.

I plan on installing a rapid bike evo though.

Anyway my bike arrives today and there have been waiting 9 months for it!!!! a 2011 With leo vinci's and PC. It had to come from another state so of course with everything that's happened that shall not be mentioned I had a serious waiting marathon !

I swore I wouldn't modify this bike but i find myself spending the evenings looking at big bore kits and carbon fibre wheels...

But lightness is king And I will be investing most of my efforts into weight reduction. Down the track a plan on making some carbon bits as well and probably machine some nice bracketry to replace the standard stuff.

And before anybody chimes in and tries to tell me to leave well enough alone that's just not in my dna and i modify everything Even if it's just for the sake of it!

https://drriders.com/my-dr650-sei-pic-heavy-t22031.html

There is a link to my last proper project To give you an idea. .

I had an r1150r most recently but I didn't really do much to that , didn't really inspired me.temp.jpg.690b99045ad606a140437578d6c234e4.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_I01WD using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, lplplplp said:

Seriously been toying with this.....we'll see.

👀 Please do. When I saw the A&A kit my first thought was 'probably a good thing those aren't available anymore'. Second thought was 'damn I want to do that'.

• Member Contributer

A good tuning shop may be able to adjust the degree of cams. I looked into this and dyno time a while ago but haven't done anything about it.

...Yet....

• Member Contributer
A good tuning shop may be able to adjust the degree of cams. I looked into this and dyno time a while ago but haven't done anything about it.
...Yet....

Probably not a great deal to be gained i Would assume?

you aussie? where are you?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, lplplplp said:

Probably not a great deal to be gained i Would assume?

you aussie? where are you?

Every little bit helps I guess 

OZZIE

The state of Disaster, the state of Emergency, the state of Lockdown, the state of Unlawful curfew, the state where its illegal to protest, the state that violently arrests journalists, pregnant women, the mentally ill ...

etc..etc.

• Member Contributer

OZZIE

The state of Disaster, the state of Emergency, the state of Lockdown, the state of Unlawful curfew, the state where its illegal to protest, the state that violently arrests journalists, pregnant women, the mentally ill ...

etc..etc.
you sound like a like minded man!

newy here, probably the luckiest place to be ... still filled with idiocy but hey at least i have a new vfr to be grateful for.

she arrives today and man, sexy she is. might just ride it for a bit before i start hacking it up

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

OZZIE

etc..etc.

The same here, except that people have taken to wearing masks and mostly ignoring the lockdown, and we have government that openly promotes the daily riots and assaults we've been having in the streets - businesses smashed and looted (repeatedly) and the city turned in to a ghetto - even a murder in the streets and the city / mayor / state / governor says "meh, whatcha gonna do"?  and just lets them go at it.  Meanwhile, major companies have announced their departure and hopefully soon mine, too.  Oregon is a beautiful state but is being run straight to hell by our elected kooks.  :(  The phrase "the inmates are running the asylum" is patently true here.    I wonder if my bikes could be shipped down under if / when I'm able to move there? 

• Member Contributer
On 9/16/2020 at 7:15 AM, lplplplp said:

Elgin Cams (Dema), can custom-grind any profile you want. Just need to send them some cores to start. I suppose it's possible to make high-RPM profile even more aggressive.

Some very good tutorials about cams on their website. I've had them custom-grind for my VF500, Toyota MR2 Supercharged and Porsche 951.

Stay away from Web Cam, every single cam I've gotten from them has had every single lobe be a different shape with timing completely off (on same stick).

• Member Contributer
Elgin Cams (Dema), can custom-grind any profile you want. Just need to send them some cores to start. I suppose it's possible to make high-RPM profile even more aggressive.

Some very good tutorials about cams on their website. I've had them custom-grind for my VF500, Toyota MR2 Supercharged and Porsche 951.

Stay away from Web Cam, every single cam I've gotten from them has had every single lobe be a different shape with timing completely off (on same stick).
I sent an email off to them I'll see what they say

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/18/2020 at 3:49 AM, Cogswell said:

The same here, except that people have taken to wearing masks and mostly ignoring the lockdown, and we have government that openly promotes the daily riots and assaults we've been having in the streets - businesses smashed and looted (repeatedly) and the city turned in to a ghetto - even a murder in the streets and the city / mayor / state / governor says "meh, whatcha gonna do"?  and just lets them go at it.  Meanwhile, major companies have announced their departure and hopefully soon mine, too.  Oregon is a beautiful state but is being run straight to hell by our elected kooks.  😞 The phrase "the inmates are running the asylum" is patently true here.    I wonder if my bikes could be shipped down under if / when I'm able to move there? 

On 9/18/2020 at 3:49 AM, Cogswell said:

The same here, except that people have taken to wearing masks and mostly ignoring the lockdown, and we have government that openly promotes the daily riots and assaults we've been having in the streets - businesses smashed and looted (repeatedly) and the city turned in to a ghetto - even a murder in the streets and the city / mayor / state / governor says "meh, whatcha gonna do"?  and just lets them go at it.  Meanwhile, major companies have announced their departure and hopefully soon mine, too.  Oregon is a beautiful state but is being run straight to hell by our elected kooks.  😞 The phrase "the inmates are running the asylum" is patently true here.    I wonder if my bikes could be shipped down under if / when I'm able to move there? 

Absolutely, and come over!! cant see any reason why not....need aussie headlights though. compliance might get a little exxy but doable as far as I know.

Archived