Expect the unexpected

• Member Contributer

The next morning I was faced with shoe shopping, something I really hadn't counted on this trip, I grabbed a box breakfast down in the lobby and some coffee and went up to the room. Nothing opened until 10 so I went out to the bike and checked/waxed the chain, checked air/fluids etc. At 10 is was in a Marshalls, at 1002 I was strapping a pair of shoes to the bike.

My buddy had texted me that he was going for a ride today and could they join us. Sounds great.

We pulled up to his house and then followed him. We were headed to Lake Oneida, to visit with another friend of mine. It was a leisurely ride, we started out on Rt 20 which was nice but he dipped off on a number of side roads as we headed west.

At one point we stopped to fuel and take a break. While walking to a bench my niece spotted a yard sale next door and asked if she could have a look. She came running back and said they are selling pies! Hmmmm yard sale pies I thought. I went back with her and from where we were sitting I could not see the stand. Well I was pleasantly surprised as I came around the corner to see a big sun awning with tables of carefully wrapped pies and six Mennonite women and girls standing there. She chose a small cherry pie for the grand sum of $3. We went back to the table and looking at my watch I said that will be your lunch then." OK!"

Bad uncle, bad, bad uncle.

We continued on small roads until we got to Rome where my buddy turned back. It was nice to catch up, especially with all that's going on.

My niece and I continued on until we got  to my friends house. He was driving back from a job in Ohio and would be back later in the evening. His wife and son were there and both had a busy day, so I went out and grabbed a bunch of Chinese.

He got in around 930 and we sat in his veranda and caught up over a beer to end the night.

0725201400a_HDR.jpg

0725201519_HDR (1).jpg

• Member Contributer

Next morning I was up early and after making a mug of tea went out to the garage to read a bit, I knew my buddy and his wife had a busy week so did not want to disturb them. A while later my buddy found me and said what do you want to do today ,ride? I thought about it but said no, I'll take a break. We decided to call a mutual friend and visit him and have lunch. I thought my niece would like that.

When the time came he threw me some keys and said you're driving. I walked over to his Nissan and he said, "not that, company car, you can't drive it" He then pointed to his Mustang GT convertible. Well I went over and had a look, 5 speed manual, oh boy...… With my niece in the back I pulled out and within 3 blocks knew I could never own one and have a valid license. It was intoxicating. Great handling and fun to drive. When we got to our friends house I got back in the passenger seat as I was not comfortable driving  through Syracuse traffic.

Lunch was fun, we had some great laughs, on the way back my buddy opened it up a bit, the thing is a beast.

Back at the house my buddy pulled his VFR1200 out into the driveway and I gave him a hand bleeding his clutch and brakes as he thought he was having issues. While doing that his wife and my niece came out of the house laughing and jumped in the Mustang . An hour later they were back and in the house with some bags. We could hear them laughing from the driveway. His bike done, I pulled mine up and tightened the chain, then he helped tune the suspension for two up riding. He was spot on.

After dinner, we were sitting out on his veranda having a beer when he and his wife looked over and smiled. I turned my head to see my niece walking through their back yard quietly singing and blowing bubbles. There was really no way I could improve on the moment so I kept my mouth shut.

0726201228.jpg

0726201933a.jpg

• Member Contributer

As my buddy and his wife had to work we off early, he was good enough to take a few photos of us on the bike before we left as I had none. Although it was a few minutes past 8 it was hot and I mean hot. By 930 or so it was blazing and I needed gas and something to feed my niece. We had gone through Seneca Falls and it was the usual assortment of fast food, so I passed. Just outside the town we crossed a river and took a left. about a half mile on I saw what looked like a large Farmers Market and there were gas pumps, so I pulled in. Well the produce and fruits outside looked unbelievable, and I spied some tables under umbrellas outside so I sent my niece to grab a table and take her coat and helmet off while I gassed up.

I pulled the bike up and went inside, well it was amazing. Fresh local Fruit, produce, meats you name it. It was a Mennonite supermarket and almost exclusively women. I went and got my niece and she had a look around, they also had a Café. She looked at the Café offerings and passed on the Breakfast sandwiches and in her little girl l voice asked if she could have some Raspberries instead. Being the easily manipulated Uncle I said yes, but I was secretly chuffed she chose that. 

After an hour or so and another visit to the fruit counter we headed out. I planned a route around the Lakes that hopefully included shade. The waterfall we stopped at was a trickle because of the drought, the State Beach at one of the Lakes was closed because of Covid. I headed for the Hotel, as we got near I noticed it was close to an Olive Garden, like walking distance. I pulled in and we walked inside to see what was up. We walked in and the dining room was busy but the Bar was empty, so I asked the Hostess if my niece was allowed to eat in there if we came for dinner. She had to go get the Manager who said no problem, what a nice woman. She had noticed our riding gear and chatted a few minutes.We were a bit early at the Country Inn and Suites but the owner who was at the desk at that time was kind enough to give us a room. Looking at my niece he mentioned the pool was open by reservation for one family at a time and for one hour and it was 2:30 but it was available at 3 if she was interested, you bet she was🙂 I grabbed our saddlebags and dropped them and my niece in the room to get ready. I went back down to get the rest of the gear and park the bike, by the time I was done and back in the room it was time to go to the pool, so for the second time that week I sat there in my riding pants and boots and watched my niece do disappearing handstands in a pool......

We arrived at the restaurant at 5 and were seated at a table in the bar. The manager came over to take our drinks order as the bartender was finishing re-stocking. When my niece ordered a Shirley Temple with extra cherries, the manager smiled and said "I'll make it myself" The dinner was very good, and after we finished but before my niece ordered dessert she pulled out a piece of paper and began writing. After dessert the Manager came up to ask us about our meal, my niece asked for an envelope, which the Manager provided quickly. I paid the bill, thanked our server and as we left my niece put the envelope on the table, I noticed it was addressed to "The Staff at Olive Garden".

We were 100 feet out in the Parking lot when the Manager came out and called my niece by name, well she turned and ran back and the 2 of them laughed ,talked and giggled, all three at the same time from the sound of it. I let my niece have her privacy and after 5 minutes got a wave from the Manger as my niece scampered back. She then proceeded to skip, and I mean skip, all the way back to the Hotel.

She is a wonderful travelling companion, she really is.

0727200830b (1).jpg

0727201003b.jpg

This story and accompanying photos have been wonderful.  To me, adventures like this are what motorcycling is all about.  (Well, that and carving corners whenever possible.)  Thanks for sharing all this so far, and I'm looking forward to the rest!  🙂 

• Member Contributer

That night I checked the Corning Museums website and was surprised to see you had to make reservations a day in advance and for a specific arrival time. So I did, I thought the $17 ticket price was a bit pricey until reading further that kids got in free and the ticket was good for 2 days, a forward thinking concept I wish more Museums would offer.

We arrived and signed up for a glass blowing demonstration that started in 15 minutes, it was quite interesting as I had no idea how much labor and effort went into this type of thing.

By late afternoon we had seen the Ancient glass exhibit, Colonial, British, Nasa shuttle, Milk Bottle Factory, etc. Honestly it was a lot of glass for one day.

We jumped back on the bike and made our way back to the Hotel. I quickly showered and exited the room to give my niece some privacy. I went down to the Lobby and sat down to check my messages. That done I looked over at where I had parked the bike next to the front entrance and did not see it. Well I rushed outside to see it on its side, well not really as there was about 4 inches between the fairings and the tarmac. My side stand had gone through the tarmac, Rookie mistake. I live on the coast of Maine and that is not a problem, when I travel I usually put a pad down though, but I guess not that day. 

I had a go at lifting it a few times without success, I realized the extension on the stand was hitting the tarmac from underneath. Well at 5'7" and 147 lb I wasn't blasting it up through the pavement any time soon, so I played with the angle and how I lifted it until I got it right and popped it upright and walked it back a bit. This took about 8-9 minutes and the whole time I knew if I let go the plastics were toast. I sat and watched the bike for a few minutes to make sure there was not a repeat performance then went upstairs. I opened the door quietly and hearing the shower quickly pawed through my bags for my kickstand pad.

My niece came down about 15 minutes later and not having many pictures of her in her Civvies around the bike, I took a few. If you look halfway between her right foot and the front tire you will see a black spot, that's actually the hole my kickstand made.

We walked down to the Olive Garden for dinner and as it was the Managers night off it wasn't the Girl Fest from the previous night. We still had a nice dinner, my niece had 2 full helpings of Salad, a dish of pasta that would have put me in a coma, and dessert with endless Shirley Temples to top things off. She's still growing 🙂

We walked back to the Hotel and she danced around me then grabbed my hat. Well this was a theme of the entire trip. Early on when I asked her why she did this she responded, " your'e to old and slow to catch me".

True, but why?

"If I have to explain it to you , you will never understand" A quote I have heard from numerous Harley Riders over the years, Oh well.

When we got back to the Hotel she taunted me a bit, as seen in the photo, then ran over to a Rocking Chair and went into Super Cute mode. We sat and chatted for quite a while. My niece, for reasons I will never understand, has always been my buddy from her youngest age. She and I Talked for quite a while, then quietly walked back to the room.

I still did not get my hat back though...…………..

0727201917.jpg

0728201719a.jpg

0727201919.jpg

0727202021.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow - you dodged a bullet with the unobtainum bodywork for sure.   I'm going to be sad to see this trip come to a close. 

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Wow - you dodged a bullet with the unobtainum bodywork for sure.   I'm going to be sad to see this trip come to a close. 

🙂

Well said.

Glad the bike didn't suffer any damage.  My R&G frame sliders saved my fairings during a few tipovers, plus put the bike at enough of an angle to make it a little easier to pick up, instead of being flat on its side.

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TimC said:

Glad the bike didn't suffer any damage.  My R&G frame sliders saved my fairings during a few tipovers, plus put the bike at enough of an angle to make it a little easier to pick up, instead of being flat on its side.

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Hi Tim: If you look at the top picture of my post with my niece standing next to the bike and expand it you will see my homemade tip over/sliders. Likely no help to the front of the fairings but maybe helpful getting the bike upright again. From what I saw briefly that day the lower fairing would hit first before they did though.

• Member Contributer

The next morning we were out the door and at the Museum as it opened. I had a secret plan for the afternoon so wanted to make sure there was time.

First order of business was, well crafts. My niece had picked out a decorate a milk bottle then sandblast it class, OK. As there was only one other couple in the class the instructor kindly spent a lot of time with my niece explaining what was going to happen.

The first pic shows that steely eyed, Take no Prisoners approach to her crafts she sometimes displays, I had one job that morning, and it was to shut up and provide lunch🙃

After, we wandered around for a bit, the Fiber Optic exhibit was interesting as oddly was the Pyrex exhibit. There were a few more but honestly it was a glass blur in the end.

We exited and headed into the town of Corning for lunch. I had seen a Japanese restaurant online and we walked up to it. They had Grilled Saba (Mackerel) on the lunch menu! I was 2 steps inside when my niece asked if we could look elsewhere. Right, we had passed a pizza place that looked like it was past its prime, an Italian place where judging from what I saw come out to the tables proved that nobody in the kitchen and certainly nobody sitting there had actually been to Italy.

My niece came up to me. "why are you so Grumpy".

I'm not Grumpy.

"You're Grumpy".

I am NOT Grumpy!

She  backed off a bit and 30 seconds later blitzed by me, turned around and gave me the biggest hug I have possibly ever had. "I'm sorry you're Grumpy".

Well I deflated like a 10 day old Birthday Balloon, she had nailed me. I had nothing to say.

Eventually I knelt down and asked her where she would like to eat, "The Pizza place!"

It was far better than I had given it credit for.

Getting back to the bike I mentioned we might stop at a Race Track on the way back, (No Might, we were!🙂). The second photo was the reaction I got to this news. It wasn't all Unicorns and Lollypops on the trip.😏

When I was about 11 or so I came into possession of a SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Magazine. Among the articles was one on Watkins Glen. Well Paul Newman raced there, Steve McQueen also. Before the track was built they used to race in the streets...……… In my minds eye the sidewalks had to be heaving with Hollywood Starlets and leading men who drove Sports Cars. It was impossibly exotic, It had to be!

Well I never got there, but here I was about 20 km away, so off we went.

In town I found the local Chamber of Commerce, where before any interaction occurred I had to.....

1. Give them my full name.

2. Produce a photo ID with said name.

3. Phone number.

4. Legal address.

5. They may have taken a DNA sample also.

All for a Brochure I could have leaned over and picked up...…...really...……….

I headed out following the course they used when they raced in town, it was so satisfying. Halfway through the 10 km course my niece tapped me on the left shoulder, her cue she needed my attention. "Its going to rain" Well I'm a professional Mariner, I knew that and was cheating a bit. About 6 blocks from the Finish I bailed and headed back to the Hotel.

The ride back was interesting, fist sized  rain started to hit us as I entered the Highway, well from there it was post legal speeds to the Hotel. We got some rain, along the way but it was fine, pulling in to the Portico of the Hotel, my niece got off the bike and promptly asked how fast we were going. Ummm, Heres the room key, go up and get on your tablet, find a supermarket nearby, find what you want for dinner, write it down, I'll be back in a minute. Well it was complete gibberish meant to distract and my niece wasn't buying it. To her immense credit she did not breach the subject again. I pulled out to park the bike and immediately got doused, which I probably deserved.

We finished the evening with Super Market food and quiet conversation...……....

0729201004.jpg

0729201257b (1).jpg

• Member Contributer

That night I looked online for someplace to stay, I was thinking about a small town on the Lake or similar but couldn't find what I was looking for. Thinking about it and NY's propensity to change their Covid regs rapidly and often I thought, probably would be better to book something in a city.

Buffalo kept coming up when I looked online. I had been there for a job interview in 1986 (Took the job, driving a boat in the Caribbean) but it was January and my flight back the next day was canceled, so not the best of looks. A few years back with my daughter on the bike I booked a room downtown at the Hyatt, the Hotel was nice enough but the city seemed to have a lot of vacant lots and be a bit down on its luck. Thinking everything through, I just bit the bullet and booked a room.

We headed off the next morning over to Rt 414, then a backroad over to Lake Keuka, then up 54a to rt 364 and Lake Canandaigua. I noted we passed both a town called Naples and Italy, no secret where the wine growing origins came from. It was a nice mornings ride as the heat had backed off a bit. Coming up to the Thruway I got on it and headed west.

Even at a leisurely pace we were at the Hotel by 1:30. As I pulled in I noticed that that either they had sympathetically restored an old Factory building into a Hotel or the Architect had managed to design a new building to resemble one. I walked in to enquire about dropping off our luggage and was kindly invited to check in, what a nice gesture. Quickly changing to give my niece her privacy I went down to the Lobby, which was quite large and comfortable. I spoke with the girl at the desk and yes this was an old Factory building. There was another building like it where the parking lot was, but it was in poor repair, so it was demolished. This was the Hampton Inn downtown, listed as a 2 1/2 star hotel, from what I saw it was easily nicer than most of the 4 star hotels I have stayed in Europe, South America and yes the US. We were 2 blocks from Fountain Square and the Trams were free from there to the harbor. I don't mind paying for it, but if I don't have to deal with broken, vandalized or no where to be found ticket machines, well , life is better.

We went down to the harbor, walked around and she had an ice cream, we headed back and I could tell she was a bit tired, so we picked up some take out on the way back. Dinner was in the room with conversation as our entertainment for the evening. We were both asleep by 9.

The picture is of my niece in Fountain Square, one of the few I took that day.

0730201511a.jpg

When I was riding this summer, I had to pay attention to the COVID alerts in the various states I was planning to visit or ride through.  New York was one of those I was wary of, but thankfully not one I had to visit, though I had earlier considered a quick weekend trip to Niagara Falls, NY.  Maybe next year.  🙂

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TimC said:

When I was riding this summer, I had to pay attention to the COVID alerts in the various states I was planning to visit or ride through.  New York was one of those I was wary of, but thankfully not one I had to visit, though I had earlier considered a quick weekend trip to Niagara Falls, NY.  Maybe next year.  🙂

Or maybe this year 🙂

• Member Contributer

I woke up the next morning and tip toed out of the room. We were headed back to Erie that day and it was only 130 miles, so I told my niece she could sleep in. I spent a couple of hours in the Lobby having coffee and answering e-mails before heading back to the room with some breakfast for her. At around 11:00 I grabbed my keys to move the bike under the Portico. 

I started the bike and in about 10 seconds it started to run rough, would not respond to throttle and died. Oh oh. I tried again a few times with no luck. Thinking about it the bike had died about a year ago on the Mass Pike coming home from VA. It turned out to be my fuel relay, but it was so noisy I never realized the fuel pump wasn't coming on and had to be towed. So  I put my ear to where the relay was located behind the tail fairing and turned the key, nothing.

I went back up to the room and grabbed my tool bag and my service manual and went back down to the bike, I never said a word to my niece. There's nothing more mood changing than suddenly having a non operating motorcycle 130  miles from her home, I let her be.

I took off the seat and the side fairings and got a slotted head screw driver on one of the float drains, nothing came out. Well I was pretty sure It was the relay at that point. I had been spooked by my experience from the year before and had actually made a jumper with soldered ends, and I had it with me. The backrest had to come off and the tail fairing shifted. I got in and disconnected the relay and played with the jumper until got the right 2 connections and suddenly the pump was running.

When it stopped I hit the ignition and the bike fired right up. I let it run for 2 minutes while listening to the pump cycle and put the bike back together. I drove it up to the Portico and ran back to grab my tools and Manual which I just left under the bike. I looked at my watch and it was 11:56 and stepped into the Lobby, before I could say a word the Fellow behind the desk said "We saw you were having trouble, don't worry about check out time, I'm glad to see you have your bike running again" Well what a nice gesture.

I ran up to the room and Bless her heart my niece was packed, geared up and ready to go. I grabbed a quick shower and we dragged our gear down to the bike. We loaded up

and  pulled out around 12:30. I drove along the Lake for about 10 miles or so and satisfied the bike was fine I jumped on the Thruway. About 30 miles from the house we got back off and finished the trip as we had started, in the vineyards alond the lake.

We pulled in and eager she got off and headed for the house, just one more picture I said. Her parents were away on business so I took a picture with the house in the backround and just said, Your little girl is home. 

The first pic is the newly repaired VFR getting ready to  leave Buffalo.

The second, is my niece arriving back home.

0731201150a (2).jpg

0731201344a.jpg

• Member Contributer

What a great adventure!

PS: the hotel "star rarting" is designed to symbolise the facilties present (bar, restaurant, pool, ironing board in the room....), not the actual QUALITY of said establishement...

• Member Contributer

Wow, that is one for the books.  I appreciate all the time you took to write all the posts and share photos along the way.  What a great trip.  :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I pretty sure your daughter will remember this trip all her life. She's one lucky kid and you are one fabulous pop.

Nicely done and reported.

• Member Contributer

So,

How long is it before before she can ride her own bike??  That could lead to even more interesting adventures . . . !!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and post the photos. As I may have already mentioned, your niece might be too cool right now to say how great this trip was, but in five or 10 years this will probably be one of the great adventures of her life story.

Nice bike also!

Archived