Favorite Power Brake Bleed Tool

mello dude

• Member Contributer

I'm working on a bike project and getting to bleed a bone dry system. It's not getting it done, Speed Bleeders, mityvac and all.

Contemplating grabing an air powered tool, it's on my list anyway.

What do you have and your favorite?

you gotta get the mc pumping.  do you get any lever pressure ?  with an empty system u gotta bench bleed the mc first.

or u could reverse-feed fluid into the system with a syringe through a bleeder fitting, and i'd recommend u try that.

i've done plenty of brakes and never needed any special tools except that.

• Member Contributer

When I bled a dry system, I started with this syringe and forced the fluid up from the caliper to the dry master cylinder. Then bled the system as normal.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10111-FloTool-Mixmizer-Injector/dp/B000G72U0K

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, squirrelman said:

you gotta get the mc pumping.  do you get any lever pressure ?  with an empty system u gotta bench bleed the mc first.

or u could reverse-feed fluid into the system with a syringe through a bleeder fitting, and i'd recommend u try that.

i've done plenty of brakes and never needed any special tools except that.

I could do all that and eventually get it done. But you've seen enough of my stuff and already know it's not my first rodeo...

I'm just done burning an hour (or more) to get a circuit final where I want it.

But I'm overdue in my multi decade wrench'n to grab something to hook it up and then,

POW! It's done in 5 minutes, no more gyrations.. Also, I seem to be the neighborhood bike tech, who works for beers..... brakes always come up.

So, do I need a power bleeder? Not really......but I want power, more power Scotty!

:beer:

1 hour ago, mello dude said:

I could do all that and eventually get it done. But you've seen enough of my stuff and already know it's not my first rodeo...

I'm just done burning an hour (or more) to get a circuit final where I want it.

But I'm overdue in my multi decade wrench'n to grab something to hook it up and then,

POW! It's done in 5 minutes, no more gyrations.. Also, I seem to be the neighborhood bike tech, who works for beers..... brakes always come up.

So, do I need a power bleeder? Not really......but I want power, more power Scotty!

:beer:

well OK then.......

1376617945_aug12020022.thumb.JPG.3a647ad3a678d966f72f6dfdcffd4b21.JPG

• Member Contributer

https://m.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/brake-bleed-valve-with-hose/10002558

Works great.

And unlike Speedbleeders (I own too) you donot need to "recoat" any thread after a coupke if times use.

A powered unit will be quicker still

• Member Contributer

Seems to me the main issue with any bleeder is the problem of getting the bleeders to seal around the threads. Even a power

bleeder is going to pull air passed the threads if they don't seal. I gave up on the vacuum bleeder because the air leaking past

the threads defeated the whole idea. I did try teflon tape once, and it worked great, but I don't trust that stuff not to shear off

and get into the hydraulic system.  JMO of course.

I have the commercial MityVac bleeder and let me tell you its TITZ. Works on stubborn clutch systems as well as the lame/brain linked brakes on these/gold wing bikes. I have run into problems with bleeders. I used new OEM Honda bleeder and lost lever, had weeping around the thread holes on the clutch, & calipers! I used teflon tape with lousy results and am not a fan as when we used to use these on compressors its a big no-no. I ended up using a 3M product that was a white paste and thread sealant which we used at the train yard.

Fast forward to a year ago, when everything was going great with my 91 VFR and low and behold, I had a dragging front caliper. I ended up overhauling the brakes and (a little foggy on how I ended up getting here.) I replaced the braided brake lines with HEL ones (bike had FastLine ones from 20 years ago) and I wanted to change them. Long story short, I mentioned this problem I was having with the weepage around the bleeder nipple threads, his recommendation was to switch to his stainless steel bleeders. I did and problem solved.

You know, I was pulling my hair out a while back when I replaced the slave cylinder and had the same problem, I used my 3M solution which is ok, but not my style. Nice to know there is a solution to the problem.

You could use one of those old oil cans with a spout/spring loaded handle and fill it with DOT4 or Honda brake fluid and go through the bleeder that way, I don't understand the concept of changing nipples on the bike your working on though, does it belong to Governor Cuomo? I think he has pierced ones. Oh, your a Briton - Sorry mate to drag you into our chit show political arena. They bleed that way in the aviation field too btw.

Archived