Different Posture

Calculon

• Member Contributer

Recently and I don't know why I moved way up on my VFR's seat to where I was right up against the fuel tank and two things happened.  The first and most notable, I was very comfortable and the VFR almost became pleasant to ride around town and on extended rides.  Secondly, the handling of the bike improved markedly, especially slow speed city riding.  I get the comfort thing, by sitting so far forward my back straightens up and it's easier to lock in my core and take weight off my hands.  As for the handling, the only thing I can think of is that I'm putting a bit more weight over the front wheel but I'm not expert on bike ergos and handling dynamics.  I must say it has made riding the Interceptor so much more enjoyable.  The only time I really slide back into the seat is on the interstate.

One of the things I've loved about my VFR is the range of fore/aft seating position.  I generally ride in the middle, but in the twisties I'll scoot forward to put more weight on the front wheel - both to make the bike a bit more balanced and to add weight to the front end for grip.  I'll scoot forward and sit up sometimes in the city.  And on the freeway I usually do what you do, and scoot backwards, allowing me to duck down a little more.

I looked at some older BMW R1200R bikes while shopping the last couple years.  That bike had a couple different seat options when new, but many were outfitted with this terrible U-shaped saddle that allowed zero flexibility in your seating position.  It was known as a "comfort seat," and while it is indeed comfortable, I can't imagine being locked into that one position 100% of the time every ride.  That bad saddle was reason enough for me to skip most of those bikes, because replacing it (OEM or Sargent) would have cost $500-600.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, TimC said:

One of the things I've loved about my VFR is the range of fore/aft seating position.  I generally ride in the middle, but in the twisties I'll scoot forward to put more weight on the front wheel - both to make the bike a bit more balanced and to add weight to the front end for grip.  I'll scoot forward and sit up sometimes in the city.  And on the freeway I usually do what you do, and scoot backwards, allowing me to duck down a little more.

You nailed why I like the Corbin seats. When its time for the twistys, scooting up to the tank is easy to do and good to move around to side to side to lean it over. Then on a more straight line deal, scooting back into the bucket of the seat is the more comfortable way to go...

The seating position and posture were big factors in giving up my SV650S.

Too much forward bias.. leads to pressure on the wrists and unsteady handling. Plus a slippery, uncomfortable seat and it's no fun to ride around town.

The engine was GREAT, but the ergos got old unless I was open road carving which was mostly Sunday afternoon

1 test ride on the VFR in the pouring rain and I was sold. Bone stock the bike just FITS.

Around town is really not the VFRs stomping ground, I have a Magna for that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Archived