Back on my 2002, nine years later!

ShipFixer

• Member Contributer
On 10/14/2020 at 3:06 PM, TimC said:

Looks fantastic!  It must be very satisfying to see it looking this great again.  In these photos, the color seems to "pop" better than the original Italian Red.  Congrats on all the nice work so far!  :cheerleader:

Thanks!  Yeah, it's a million times better!  Hated riding it around while faded and pink for soooo many reasons. 

You're right about the red.  I may take a nicer camera downstairs than my Pixel 4 to see if it looks any different in images, but there is a difference between the new red, the tank, some eBay parts that look pretty close to what I remember, etc.  The original paint has some real depth to it (while still being a very thin coat) so it looks different at different angles, etc.  I think that helps the repainted stuff match it a little better honestly...like the meter panel corner pieces blend nicely with the new side cowlings, until you are both up close and very "vertical" looking straight down at them.

Ironic good news just popped today, my movers will show up next Friday so...gotta put those old plastic side cowls right back on soon, and box the new ones 😄  I've never had a problem with the VFR in a moving truck before, but don't want the first time to be on two-week old plastic!d

Also got a new rear cowling coming from Partzilla.  I was hesitant to buy one since it doesn't mention R157 in the description, unlike every single other cowling piece.  But the Partzilla guys told me on the phone it says "red" in the description they see.  Will find out tomorrow...but won't install till San Diego next month so it stays new.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Oh one other note while cruising around Maryland and DC today.  Before I replaced the battery and R/R, there was "something" that smelled like warm electrical stuff in there.  No smells today.  MOSFET R/R from tightwad for the win! 

• Member Contributer

On its way to California!  Got everything done with a week to spare.  And, uh...ride around Virginia a bit of course!

IMG_20201023_114753.jpg?width=590&height

Archived