Some 4th gen to 3rd gen questions

• Member Contributer

I would really like to put a 4th gen exhaust on my 93, but I am not going to give up my center stand. What i would like to know is whether the 4th gen stand will bolt onto a 3rd gen bike. If it will this would allow me to run the 4th gen exhaust and still have a center stand. I think the weight reduction would be significant.

I was also wondering if the 4th gen rear fender is a bolt on to the 3rd gen. I don't want to cut the stock unit, but I like the shorter 4th gen fender.

The fender isn't  a big deal, but the exhaust and center stand is something I would really like to do and I guess the 4th gen center stand will determine whether I can get it done.

• Member Contributer

I think it bolts to the frame, which is a bit of a problem if you have a different frame...

My solution was to space the heavy iron bracket down 30-40mm, which allowed my TBR 4th-gen headers to pass between the engine case and the bracket.  In conjunction with that modification (otherwise the rear tire would not clear the ground on the centre stand) I had to "flip the eccentric" in the rear hub to gain 30mm rear ride height.

PB090002x.jpg.96aef013977868e9ab72e1b4a3de8d8a.jpg

But this solution isn't for everyone--I wanted to increase the rear ride height, and I don't use the metal lower fairing panels, for example.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I've seen your work in other posts, but really isn't what I'm looking for. I would love to find a guy local or close with a 4th gen and center stand that I could look at and compare to see the feasability.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

In all my reading I've never seen the 4G cstand adapted to the 3G. Given how rare the 3G stands are and how the 4G cstands are on ebay like weeds, someone would have documented it. Other than JZH's mod, I've haven't seen an aftermarket 3G-4G header, or the oem 4g header, that allowed you to keep the original 3G cstand.

I'd like to fit the Tyga header to my '93 but after a 5 year search to finally score a cstand I'm on the fence myself about giving up the cstand for a new exhaust.

• Member Contributer

After more investigation I have determined that it can't be done. I think the few post's I saw were erronious and I have removed panels to check things out and come to the conclusion I will live with it the way it is and maybe modify the centerstand mount to take some weight out to it.

Archived