Hot battery

New to me 1997 VFR750. Battery and right hand frame rail very hot after ride. Is this engine heat or charging problem? The charging system is working ok,but just recieved mosfet R/R to upgrade. 

• Member Contributer
41 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Not a problem.

And sometimes can be helpful.

I have Raynauds Disease; my hands loose blood curculation just thinking about cold. When I am stopped a a traffic light, I can position my fingers on the exposed frame to get a few seconds of warmth into them. A little "Aah" flows through my brain as a result. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
On 10 September 2020 at 2:20 PM, Grippy said:

The battery is hot,that can't be good surely?

Provided you are not overcharging it, charging voltage not exceeding 15v. Then hopefully all you're getting is engine heat soaking. If you had a shorted cell then you wouldn't have good cranking or other issues. A certain amount of heat is fine, but that's subjective, how hot is hot?

2 minutes ago, Grum said:

Provided you are not overcharging it, charging voltage not exceeding 15v. Then hopefully all you're getting in engine heat soaking. If you had a shorted cell then you wouldn't have good cranking or other issues. A certain amount of heat is fine, but that's subjective, how hot is hot?

14.5V so charging is ok. Too hot to hold a hand on. I will check with a remote read thermometer next ride and post some numbers.

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, Grippy said:

14.5V so charging is ok. Too hot to hold a hand on. I will check with a remote read thermometer next ride and post some numbers.

Assume you have a AGM type battery. Doesn't sound right that you can't hold it in your hand, max operating temps are around 50degC. Is your battery holder in good condition, is it somehow sitting closer to the engine than normal. Wonder if any of the other 4th gen owners have had this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/10/2020 at 12:41 AM, Grippy said:

I will check with a remote read thermometer next ride and post some numbers.

A while back, I measured the frame under my right knee at 165F on a hot day. And I agree with your assessment (ie that can't be good). But it mostly seems to be the way things are. Everybody lives with it. See if you come up with a similar number.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, Gebruiker said:

A while back, I measured the frame under my right knee at 165F on a hot day. And I agree with your assessment (ie that can't be good). But it mostly seems to be the way things are. Everybody lives with it. See if you come up with a similar number.

Frame temp at R/R was 55c(131F) but on cooler day. 

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Grippy said:

Frame temp at R/R was 55c(131F) but on cooler day. 

I haven't read temps at the R/R although yes, that too gets right warm on my bike. The original R/Rs didn't even have cooling fins. And some riders try different solutions to keeping things from getting hot back there. It seems to me there are experiments with computer fans. Does it make a difference to longevity and reliability? I dunno.

Bear in mind I have a 92, so readings from that earlier generation may vary. As always, the more experienced guys in here might see cause for concern and I defer to their wisdom. For me, I've gotten accustomed to the heat and just keep an eye on my voltage outputs. As long as they're reasonable I've learned to relax and enjoy the ride. 🙂

Archived