Purchase advice

Goken

Hello everyone and i hope this message finds you well. The bike in question is a 2002 honda vfr800. this bike has a clean title. the fairings look a bit rough in the front but I plan on making it a street fighter so the fairings are gonna go anyway. what are your thoughts friends? I am going to check it out in person next week and it will go on auction on the 15th. any thoughts on what i should be looking for when i check out the bike next week?spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Member Contributer

Oil cooler damaged, radiator damaged( you’ll need a front mounted radiator anyway for a street fighter), are forks damaged? Does it run? Offer $500 tops.  That’d be my advice.

• Member Contributer

It looks like it's taken a fair whack on the nose and I'd be concerned about damage to the forks and the frame primarily. If you're converting it to a street-fighter, chances are you're gonna replace everything else up front anyway. See if you can get the bike on the centrestand and get a feel for the condition of the headstock bearings as an indicator of possible headstock damage. Also, check for creases in the fork stanchions. 

• Member Contributer

It seems odd that there doesn't appear to be any rash from tipping over,  almost as though something ran in to it while parked.  Regardless - you'll want a good look at the frame around the steering head.  Any damage to the frame -  crack, bent, etc and you'll never have it going down the road - it's junk.  Other bits can be replaced / repaired, but frame damage is a deal breaker no matter the price. 

Also  keep in mind that the 2002 stator / flywheel have been discontinued.  If you have stator issues (and we all know that never happens on 6th gens :pinocchio:), you'll be replacing both the stator and flywheel as a set with upgraded bits. 

• Member Contributer

Looks like a Utes reversed into it whilst its been parked. Scratch on the frame and the insurance companies just replace or payout. Seen worse ones made to look like new. 

Archived