Speedo / Instruments Panel Blank / No Tacho

CalumL

Vfr 800 F-E (2015)

This evening the speedometer and information displays went blank and don't illuminate, likewise the tacho is not registering the engine revs.

The bike starts and runs with no issue but when turned on the display does not light up and the tacho does not do the sweep and I don't have any of the Engine light, Oil pressure light ABS or traction control lights.

When indicators, main beam etc are used the corresponding light illuminates on the panel.

I have followed the steps in the Service manual and have:-

1. Checked the fuses, all good and the meter one when removes stops the other associated items (tail light) and they come back on when re-inserted

2. Removed the meter panel and performed the checks from 20-9 in the service manual as follows:-

I get

12 V on the power input line (white/green wire) when ignition is switched on and nothing when off

12V on the back up voltage (red/green wire) at all times 

Continuity to the battery negative from the ground line (Green/Black wire)

I then Checked the serial Communication Line

Step 1 no continuity when both connectors are disconnected (as expected)

Step 2 

Serial Communication Line Open Circuit lnspection
Check for continuity between the wire harness side
20P (Gray) connector [1] and ECM 33P (Gray) connector [2] terminals.

If I am reading this correctly, I should be testing the meter connector to the ECM connector to make sure there is no broken wire, I get continuity.

But the expected results state

ls there continuity?
YES - Loose or poor contact on the related connectors,
NO - Open circuit in the Whlte wire between the combination meter and ECM.

I'm uncertain as to what this test means, as I would have expected that continuity was good and meant that there was no broken wire between the meter and the ECM.

Have I either misunderstood the test or is there a misprint in the manual?

I am suspected that I may have a faulty meter unit, is this probable and are there any further tests that I can/should do to be certain?

• Member Contributer
On 6 September 2020 at 7:20 AM, CalumL said:

Vfr 800 F-E (2015)

This evening the speedometer and information displays went blank and don't illuminate, likewise the tacho is not registering the engine revs.

The bike starts and runs with no issue but when turned on the display does not light up and the tacho does not do the sweep and I don't have any of the Engine light, Oil pressure light ABS or traction control lights.

When indicators, main beam etc are used the corresponding light illuminates on the panel.

I have followed the steps in the Service manual and have:-

1. Checked the fuses, all good and the meter one when removes stops the other associated items (tail light) and they come back on when re-inserted

2. Removed the meter panel and performed the checks from 20-9 in the service manual as follows:-

I get

12 V on the power input line (white/green wire) when ignition is switched on and nothing when off

12V on the back up voltage (red/green wire) at all times 

Continuity to the battery negative from the ground line (Green/Black wire)

I then Checked the serial Communication Line

Step 1 no continuity when both connectors are disconnected (as expected)

Step 2 

Serial Communication Line Open Circuit lnspection
Check for continuity between the wire harness side
20P (Gray) connector [1] and ECM 33P (Gray) connector [2] terminals.

If I am reading this correctly, I should be testing the meter connector to the ECM connector to make sure there is no broken wire, I get continuity.

But the expected results state

ls there continuity?
YES - Loose or poor contact on the related connectors,
NO - Open circuit in the Whlte wire between the combination meter and ECM.

I'm uncertain as to what this test means, as I would have expected that continuity was good and meant that there was no broken wire between the meter and the ECM.

Have I either misunderstood the test or is there a misprint in the manual?

I am suspected that I may have a faulty meter unit, is this probable and are there any further tests that I can/should do to be certain?

Hi Calum.

From what you've tested it does sound like an internal panel issue. The power on self test would be an internal function, and you are not even getting that.

Agree with you with the Serial Comm line you don't want any short to Ground AND you DO want continuity of the White wire from the panel back to the ECM - They are stating that if the wire measures OK, and there are still serial comm issues, then they are referring to possible issues within the ECM or Panel connectors perhaps not making good contact to their mating pins or sockets.!

I can only suggest if you can open up the panel to the point of inspecting the circuit board, paying close attention to following the power and ground lines, check for any cracks and poor solder joints. Have a very good look at where the main connector joins the circuit board, check for any bad joints. Would also imagine there would be some form of power regulator chip for 12v to 5v for LCD's and maybe the tacho. 

As to why this has happened ? Might pay to run a voltmeter over the battery with engine running just to be sure something strange hasn't happened to the R/R outputting a high voltage! You should be seeing around 14.5volts, nothing over 15.5v

Good Luck - Keep us posted with how you get on.

• Member Contributer

Hi Calum.

Forgot to mention. Does your Neutral LED display normally? This could be a key to what might be internally missing in the panel!

You've stated the Indicator Arrows and Hi Beam indication work normally. These LED's are seeking a Positive to illuminate(the other end of the LED's is to Ground). However, the Neutral LED is seeking a Ground to illuminate.(the other end of the LED is to Positive).

So if your Neutral LED is NOT displaying normally, that could mean your issue lies with the +12v internal rail missing, being supplied by White/Green wire.

If your Neutral Light is working then an internal regulated 5v rail for LCD drivers etc, may be at fault.

Just might help to home in on what area might be at fault.

Yes, the neutral light is working, I also checked the voltage at the battery with the bike running. A nice and healthy 14.5 volts.

I had removed the back of the instrument cluster to see if I could get access to the board, it doesn't seems that I would be able to get access to both sides of the board without damaging the plastic pegs that hold it in place, it slides over some, but the others are moulded to retain it.

As a new instrument panel is £1500 from Honda I had a look on Ebay for a 2nd hand one, I managed to find one with a similar mileage to mine for £250 so should be able to plug it in later this week when it arrives for confirmation/fix.

Thanks for your advice, I'll keep you updated.

An update as promised.

My 2nd hand instrument cluster arrived this morning. I plugged it in and everything works exactly as it should. If I hadn't been able to pick one up with similar mileage and not too expensive it might have been work trying to dig deeper to see about dismantling the board but this was a quick win.

Thanks for the advice.

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, CalumL said:

An update as promised.

My 2nd hand instrument cluster arrived this morning. I plugged it in and everything works exactly as it should. If I hadn't been able to pick one up with similar mileage and not too expensive it might have been work trying to dig deeper to see about dismantling the board but this was a quick win.

Thanks for the advice.

Excellent. Very good win that the eBay unit lived up to expectations, always a bit of a risk with a second hand unit. Should give you a bit more confidence to dive in and have a go at repairing your original panel, you've got nothing to loose and a spare panel to gain.

Glad you're back on the road.

Archived