2003 vfr 800f modifications

bog

Question

Im new to this forum, after selling my 1987 interceptor in 1995, i just bought a 2003 interceptor, can someone bring me up to date on any modifications i should check to see if they have been completed. Such as pcv?, blue wire mod, etc.  Any help would be appreciated. I also have a rough acceleration just off idle, feels like carb balancing/synchronization, and suggestions....bog

6 answers to this question

There was a great post a couple of weeks back about sixth gen throttle sync. I had an 03 with a Power Commander and a map from the download sections here. That was a huge improvement in throttle response. Welcome to VFRD. There is likely nothing you will need to know that has not been discussed here.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, bog said:

Im new to this forum, after selling my 1987 interceptor in 1995, i just bought a 2003 interceptor, can someone bring me up to date on any modifications i should check to see if they have been completed. Such as pcv?, blue wire mod, etc.  Any help would be appreciated. I also have a rough acceleration just off idle, feels like carb balancing/synchronization, and suggestions....bog

Welcome to the forum, better post some pictures of your bike.

Give the bike a good going over, a new maintenance base line. (Unless you have accurate history of its maintenance).

New air filter, spark plugs, Flush/bleed Brakes and Clutch, drain/flush cooling system(I use Honda Type 2 coolant). New oil and filter, check brake pads, check chain and sprockets. After 17 years your Fuel Filter might need replacing. And maybe, dare I say it, a valve clearance check.

Then re-asses the bike, it may need a Starter Valve re-synch, getting this right has a great effect on just off idle response. Sorry can't advise on PCV unless you're talking about Positive Crankase Ventilation!

You can download the Service Manual from the forum if you don't already have one.

Main electrical issues are the one you've covered being the blue connector earth wire. A good inspection of the two Main 30amp fuses at and next to the Starter Relay along with the red connector at the Starter Relay, check for overheated/stressed high resistance connections in this area.

Stators, R/R's and their connections have plagued 5th and 6gens but once properly sorted, reliability is good.

CCT's Cam Chain Tensioner Lifters are also a component that give troubles after a number of years, easily identifiable by clattering chain slap sound near the cylinder head areas.

Given your bike is 17 years old a close inspection of all cooling system hoses would be a good idea.

Good Luck with the bike. Once all sorted and well cared for, it's a great bike.

Cheers:beer:

Good advice above from knowledgeable folks.  I'd also recommend checking the tires' date codes, too, and replacing them if the tires are more than 5-6 years old, or if the bike has been sitting for 2-3 years.

Yes, there was a recall for the PCV, as well as the wiring harness.  Any Honda dealer should be able to look up your VIN in the system and check whether those recalls were ever performed.  If not, I don't know how long Honda will reimburse dealers to do recall work.  There might be a time limit dating to the bike's manufacture date, or the date of the recall.  But it's worth checking either way.

Thanks for the replies,ill look into all these items, i see some terminology has changed over the years, starter valves are throttle plates?  i have to ask, what does R/R  stand for? something regulator?  my bike only has 5500 miles on it,so its in pretty good condition, i plan on checking and repairing the whole bike over the winter, which is long up here in upper michigan.  What did the pcv valve recall consist of? Is There a history of left turn signal problems?  Again, thanks for the info, its a big help to know where to look for problems.   bog

My limited experience, on the same model year which I picked up about a month or 2 ago, which appears to have either sat for some period of time, and/or, spent some of it's life outdoors, is pretty simple ... my favorite "maintanence tool" ... WD-40!! Pretty simple, just take apart the switches/pods(starter switch/T-S/Hi-Lo beam switches), douse them with the WD, wipe out the excess, and put them back together. If that doesn't solve the issues, then you have more problems, like wiring, corroded connectors, etc. 

Ironically, my right T/S worked perfectly, but the left either would not stay on or blink unless I held it to the left, and the starter switch would basically just just start the bike as soon as I moved the switch to the "on position", without ever needing to push the start button! Again, the WD-40 solved all these "issues" immediately! Simple, yet effective!

Again, if you don't have the same luck ... you'll have to dive in deeper. But this is a simple starting point, and my experience with ANY bike that has sat, aged, and more specifically, spent any of it's life outdoors in the elements, is CORROSION!! Meaning, rust/scale/etc. WD-40 is a simple "tool", is cheap, and tends to "solve" these issues in short order. A wire/copper brush will help even more, but typically, just the WD will give you enough continuity to make the electrics work properly.

Hope this helps!

9 hours ago, bog said:

Thanks for the replies,ill look into all these items, i see some terminology has changed over the years, starter valves are throttle plates?  i have to ask, what does R/R  stand for? something regulator?  my bike only has 5500 miles on it,so its in pretty good condition, i plan on checking and repairing the whole bike over the winter, which is long up here in upper michigan.  What did the pcv valve recall consist of? Is There a history of left turn signal problems?  Again, thanks for the info, its a big help to know where to look for problems.   bog

"R&R" refers to the regulator/rectifier ... meaning part of the charging/alternator system. Honda seems to have had a number of years of their bikes having issues with these, hence the reason there is a bike aftermarket for these items(meaning "non Honda OEM" stuff), and replacements for such. If you just replace them with either new/used OEM parts, you're not "fixing the issue", rather just putting a band aid on it, and waiting for those parts to fail again as well. 

Considering your bike's age, but more so the mileage, you may not really be having those issues ... YET! But if it's all stock, at some point, you WILL!!

Another FYI, sometimes, "R&R" is also refers to rebuild/replace ... but in this instance, it's referring to the regulator/rectifier assembly.

Archived