Can 5th gen exhaust manifold be painted?

RossR

• Member Contributer

Link to the the VHT FAQ page for anyone who wants to do this. If VHT paint is not available in your area many people say that the RustOleum Automotive high Heat paint works great. They also do a BBQ High Heat paint but do not recommend it for headers.  VHT says primer is not required, and Rustoleum says use with their primer. I haven't actually done this, but just posting this so that others don't have to search for the info on the www.

https://www.speco.com.au/vht_faq.html

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/high-heat/

• Member Contributer
On 9/1/2020 at 7:36 AM, adkfinn said:

In theory, yes, you can paint it. I would warn you against the VHT high heat products. I prepped mine well (sandblasted, cleaned with air/acetone/etc.) and used the full VHT system (primer, paint, clear), heat cured it on the bike (running on the center stand), and it failed within one year on the bike. Hopefully you have better luck with the BBQ paint - that is what I am going to try next also, fwiw.

You are not the only person who experienced failure with VHT.  Lot's of people have written about this. Most of them seem to have used primer. Now that I know a little more about this I would suggest that possibly the primer is the cause of the failure. VHT say primer is not required (on their website). I haven't seen many failures posted with the RustOleum product. Please see my post about RustOlem's automotive High Heat as being more appropriate than BBQ paint. Having said that I have seen posts where people bought Dollar store BBQ paint and say it worked fine LOL!

• Member Contributer

I have used the VHT Flame Proof Epoxy Coating on a few systems now and have found it incredibly durable.

No primer, right on sand blasted, clean pipes.  Cured with a propane torch on the inside initially for some handling / installation durability.

Great results for me.  I have never used any high heat primer, regardless of brand.  Doesn't sound logical.

I have used the Rustoleum product with very good results too, but I think I prefer the VHT Epoxy.

spacer.png

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I have used the VHT Flame Proof Epoxy Coating on a few systems now and have found it incredibly durable.

No primer, right on sand blasted, clean pipes.  Cured with a propane torch on the inside initially for some handling / installation durability.

Great results for me.  I have never used any high heat primer, regardless of brand.  Doesn't sound logical.

I have used the Rustoleum product with very good results too, but I think I prefer the VHT Epoxy.

spacer.png

Great endorsement! I think 'clean' is the important factor. VHT say that you should not allow the metal to oxidize. Sandblast, clean with solvent. and put the first thin coat on right away.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, RossR said:

Great endorsement! I think 'clean' is the important factor. VHT say that you should not allow the metal to oxidize. Sandblast, clean with solvent. and put the first thin coat on right away.

x2 - @Captain 80s certainly has more skill and experience that I do. I could be tempted into trying VHT again.... possibly. The primer I used was the VHT Flameproof primer, ditto for the clear coat.... I let things cure for like a week off the bike post paint, it is still unclear to me where I went wrong.

23 hours ago, RossR said:

You are not the only person who experienced failure with VHT.  Lot's of people have written about this. Most of them seem to have used primer. Now that I know a little more about this I would suggest that possibly the primer is the cause of the failure. VHT say primer is not required (on their website). I haven't seen many failures posted with the RustOleum product. Please see my post about RustOlem's automotive High Heat as being more appropriate than BBQ paint. Having said that I have seen posts where people bought Dollar store BBQ paint and say it worked fine LOL!

I'll go back and read it, thanks for flagging it for me.

Archived