98 VFR 800 clutch spring bolt trouble

Noveraker

I just got my clutch kit in for my 98 VFR 800 and everything was going pretty smooth. I got new plates soaked and installed in proper orientation, and of course after reading about it in two other posts, I had my first spring bolt snap off in the basket on me. I was able to get it out just fine. My only concern is that when my new ones arrive, they will snap too. Just now ordering them so hopefully they get here before Friday, I was excited because my clutch came early so this is just my luck. I used my torque wrench set at 9ft-lbs and it still snapped. The other bolts don’t look stretched, how tight do they really need to be? Can I just snug the new ones down until the seat firmly and if so will they back themselves out? Thanks for the help, I just want to get back on the road and drive this beauty of a bike.

I had that happen once on a 636 Kawasaki back in the day, I was using a Sear torque wrench at the time. I have three Snap On torque wrenches now, if I was working on your bike, I would not reach for any of them. A T-handle with a 10MM six point socket on the end would be all I need. Its too risky and not necessary to use a torque wrench on these small fasteners, cam caps, bolts you mentioned etc. If your concerned you could get new ones from Honda, I trust my feel on these things, flash to my installing a newly machined head on my Kawasaki, do I use a torque wrench? Yep, you better believe it, it has a torque sequence and three stages of tightening (I think) I re-torqued the head bolts upon the first valve adjustment. That is where torque is critical. You live and learn - you wont make that mistake again right? Peace

2 minutes ago, ridervfr said:

I had that happen once on a 636 Kawasaki back in the day, I was using a Sear torque wrench at the time. I have three Snap On torque wrenches now, if I was working on your bike, I would not reach for any of them. A T-handle with a 10MM six point socket on the end would be all I need. Its too risky and not necessary to use a torque wrench on these small fasteners, cam caps, bolts you mentioned etc. If your concerned you could get new ones from Honda, I trust my feel on these things, flash to my installing a newly machined head on my Kawasaki, do I use a torque wrench? Yep, you better believe it, it has a torque sequence and three stages of tightening (I think) I re-torqued the head bolts upon the first valve adjustment. That is where torque is critical. You live and learn - you wont make that mistake again right? Peace

Thanks for the advice, I did order 5 new bolts and will just snug them hand tight. I would assume that the tension from the springs will keep these bolts from backing themselves out? Definitely won’t make that mistake again, coulda been cruising around right now had I just snugged them tight.

Archived