86 VFR fairing strut

chill

• Member Contributer

Look for the part number and contact your Honda dealer.....  chances are though they are NLA.......   which brngs you to a breaker/scrappie....

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/VFR/1986/VFR750FG/Frame/FRONT-COWL-1-/13ML7G41/F__3300/2/10148

Squirrelman the one on my bike is alloy. The old one broke off in the frame, so now the hard part - drilling the old one out and getting an ez out in there and backing it out without breaking it off. Hopefully the stud will be soft enough to drill easily. Been putting this off for 30 years.

6 hours ago, chill said:

Squirrelman the one on my bike is alloy. The old one broke off in the frame, so now the hard part - drilling the old one out and getting an ez out in there and backing it out without breaking it off. Hopefully the stud will be soft enough to drill easily. Been putting this off for 30 years.

there's no tension on the stub end, so try scratching a slot so u can use a screwdriver to back it out. or a sharp chisel tapped around the edge will work too.

• Member Contributer

I've never been able to back out a broken strut by manipulation.  There's something about how they've broken that prevents any kind of movement on the ones I've attempted.  I have extracted one and I have another one that I haven't gone further on because I don't run struts on that bike.  They are pretty easy to drill, but I think I would go with a reverse drill bit instead of a EZ-out on that material.  My "success" was almost a nightmare.  Drilled the PERFECTLY centered pilot hole and promptly broke off the EZ-out.   Couldn't believe it, I was being extra cautious.  Well fuck, now what.  I got a hollow diamond-tipped drill bit the perfect outside diameter and I was able core out the broken EZ-out.  I didn't even have to Heli-Coil the frame, the threads were still intact and I was able to torque a test bolt with no problem.  

Good luck!!

Yea breakin off the EZ out is the nighmare scenario. I will try the chisel and flat head screwdriver first (after days of penetrating oil. Hopefully the shock from chiseling will break the threads loose. If that doesn't work I will keep increasing the drill bit size on my pilot hole until it is as close to the frame threads as I can get it. I always worry about getting the pilot hole perfectly straight into the stud. Thanks for the ideas. Will post when I try this but it will probably be several weeks before I try. Other repair jobs keep pushing this one lower on the priority list.

831327076_sept132020010.thumb.JPG.63bb467cc72f6710e185189c6eefd7d1.JPG

allloy at top, steel at bottom is about 1/4" shorter.

if the bike happens to go down the alloy piece usually breaks and leaves a stub in the frame while the steel piece just bends and can usually be repaired.

1009021799_sept132020011.thumb.JPG.ec7531bfeda733c1f4c5125e562c5fa8.JPG

in most cases, bending the strut corresponds to a cracked fairing point.

Archived