Rear Shock Linkage plates FR-MCW / FR-MBG..which?

Earl

G'day folks,

I've been playing around with front and rear suspension and have put what I think is an Yamaha R6 rear shock. I've used the original linkage plates stamped with FR-MBG.

In my bag of bits I have another set of linkage plates stamped FR-MCW. The latter set seems to be 3 or 4mm shorter in the direction of the arrow.

Does anyone know if they (FR-MCW) are from later or earlier models or perhaps a lowering kit? My Haynes manuals shows FR MBG on 97-99 and in the 02-09 manual, in fact its the exact same photo.

(The R6 shock spring is way too light so I'm off to Shock Treatment tomorrow to see if its worth putting a stiffer spring on)

Ive put the wide bars as I even the standard bars are too low for my worn out wrists. And the forks were just because I could.

In case you're I'm also thinking of putting all my boxes of bits and the 2006 up for sale. It has a great motor, Shock Treatment upgraded suspension, rear sets, panels, ect ect ect.

wide bars.jpg

yamaha r6 forks.jpg

• Member Contributer

MBG is the model code for the 5th gen VFR 98-01. MCW is the code for the 6th gen 2002-2012.

Thanks for clearing that up Terry.

After visiting Shock Treatment I understand that upgrading the R6 rear shock to work on the VFR is too costly.

Thus, the original shocks are now back on both the '98 and '06. I'm happy with the handling on the 98 even if it is a little on the stiff side.
The R6 forks seem quite OK, but I'm yet to push it's limits.

The entire exercise has given me a much greater confidence in knowing my way around the '98.

And, given that I also have a 990 SuperDuke I figured I can get my adrenaline hits on it.

Archived