8th gen oil change

Bent

• Member Contributer

Anyone here ever change just the oil and leave the filter in?  I generally change every 4K but have been doing it based on time because it doesn't get 4K miles on it in a year any more.

Was thinking it's such a PIA changing the filter and that it holds so little oil I may just drain it and refill it.  Knowing me, I would just go ahead and do the filter too but just asking if anyone else does it.  When it does get ridden, it gets very hard riding in twisties at high rpms.    

What say others?

I've always changed both oil and filter at the same time.  With a very good quality filter it might not be necessary, but I can afford the $8-10 for a new filter a couple times per year.  But I get what you're saying, especially if the bike isn't getting that many miles.

I wonder if heat could be a factor.  Would the media inside the oil filter break down faster if the engine is subjected to higher operating temperatures very often?  These last couple months I've seen my 6th gen's engine temp gauge over 200 degrees very often.

Another factor might be the road conditions, as I'd think if you were riding in a dusty or sandy area you'd want to change the filter each oil change, but if not it's probably fine.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, TimC said:

I've always changed both oil and filter at the same time.  With a very good quality filter it might not be necessary, but I can afford the $8-10 for a new filter a couple times per year.  But I get what you're saying, especially if the bike isn't getting that many miles.

+1

Archived