Botched recall repair

TommyB

Hello fellow vfr lovers.

I have recently come into possession of a 2010 vfr1200f and I absolutely love the bike, but I'm getting a low irregular knocking sound from the driveshaft area. I spoke to Honda and they said if the driveshaft has broken it will cost 2000 to fix.

The thing is, the bike had the driveshaft recall replacement in 2016 and since then it has done around 10000 miles over the four years. Surely it doesn't sound right that this has broken again already. It could be a botched recall repair but that's impossible to prove.

Do you think Honda should replace this again for free or do you think I'm buggered? 

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I know very about the VFR1200's so I'll defer to others. But I do want to welcome to the asylum TommyB. 

Hi Oregonian. Thanks for your reply!

I can't see anything on the vin number to suggest anything has been done. Do you know what the mark would look like? Maybe when it went in for the recall they only checked the driveshaft and didn't change it. If so should Honda still honor the recall?

The guy I spoke to at the dealer said it would be out of date, but I wouldn't have thought a safety recall would have an end date.

15984619647523892747828670064624.jpg

• Member Contributer

The punch looks like someone took a metal punch and banged a fresh mark above the vin.  I don't see one in your photo.  

I'd be shocked if recalls can go out of date.  I'd call a different dealership or the Honda recall number.  

• Member Contributer

This is the recall bulletin and if your bike has had the recall work completed, it should have a punch beneath the first letter of the VIN.

Untitled.jpg

• Member Contributer

Although they appear to have punched mine above the first letter.

IMAG1061[1].jpg

Thanks everyone, this is very interesting and extremely useful. Mine mustn't have had the repair done then. The question will be, will Honda still honor the recall? It was only four years ago so I think they should, but they will try not too. Thanks to your pics at least I can argue with them!

I'm taking the bike in next Wednesday to have it looked at properly. They won't tell me anything (other than the cost of a new driveshaft repair) until I've paid them the 90 pound investigation fee. It's definitely the driveshaft though, sounds like a dodgy u-joint to me.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

• Member Contributer

Speak with Honda UK. Trll them you've bought a second hand Vfr1200 which has not had the safety recall work completed and that you believe they should honour their undertaking.

Archived