Vfr 800 fi 2001 chain length

Tonygre93

Just fitted a D.I.D chain and JT sprockets 108 link chain, 17 tooth front sprocket, 43 rear sproket. as far as im aware that is the standard for this bike and thats what the shop supplied but the chain is still too slack and is at the end of the adjuster anyone had this issue before or any ideas as to what the problem could be.

• Member Contributer

First, Welcome to the asylum from The Land Of Interesting Weather. I cannot help with your specific issue but a can make a suggestion on sprocket replacement.

The front sprocket Honda OEM has a rubber component that, I figure, has a dampening effect. The rubber creates a specific width and affects the speedometer drive engagement. There is a female plastic cap that engages a male nut (other than myself:tongue:.)

A prior owner of my current rider installed an aftermarket front sprocket that did not have the rubber dampener which eventually disabled the speedometer. This happened on the way to a SumSum in Montrose, CO. We were planning on meeting up with Hispanic Slammer in Colorado Springs, CO and, when I described the issue to Miguel, he explained the above. We were able to adjust the engangement to solve the problem. 

The moral of the story: use OEM sprockets for OEM chain and sprockets replacement.

BTW, we'd love to see a picture of your VFR. We can never get enough chances to ogle these marvelous examples of Honda engineering and artistry.

Thankyou the sproket i replaced was an aftermarket one aswell so i didnt really consider that. But the shop i bought the chain and sprockets from said they have never come across this problem before im thinking of taking it to a shop for a once over as i bought it recently.

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, Tonygre93 said:

Thankyou the sproket i replaced was an aftermarket one aswell so i didnt really consider that. But the shop i bought the chain and sprockets from said they have never come across this problem before im thinking of taking it to a shop for a once over as i bought it recently.

This is pretty simple to at least check yourself. While I have little confidence in my memory, I seem to recall there are different length bolts holding the cover on. If you find that's the case, keep track of where the bolts came from.

25 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

This is pretty simple to at least check yourself. While I have little confidence in my memory, I seem to recall there are different length bolts holding the cover on. If you find that's the case, keep track of where the bolts came from.

The casing would of been taken off before as it wasnt an original sprocket the bike has 60k miles on it but the bolts did go back on in the same place as i got them from but would that make a differance to the chain length

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Tonygre93 said:

The casing would of been taken off before as it wasnt an original sprocket the bike has 60k miles on it but the bolts did go back on in the same place as i got them from but would that make a differance to the chain length

I'm guessing not . I was only referring to the replacement of that front sprocket. I've no idea what might be causing your length issue.

Good luck solving your problem.

• Member Contributer

You will have to double check the sprocket sizes and chain length. Unless the swing arm or wheel bearings have collapsed, or the output shaft is somehow loose or bent, there is no logical reason, I can think of, for too much slack in a new setup. 

15 hours ago, VFR78 said:

You will have to double check the sprocket sizes and chain length. Unless the swing arm or wheel bearings have collapsed, or the output shaft is somehow loose or bent, there is no logical reason, I can think of, for too much slack in a new setup. 

19 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

All the bearings seem fine and ive triple checked all sprockets and chain links and im lost now haha ill take it to a mechanic and let them check it over.

Archived