Fuel gauge accuracy

Maddie

When I fill my tank up, on the centre stand, and filled right to the brim , the gauge reads one bar from full.  When filled up on the side stand it's 2 bars from full.  It started flashing on the last bar today and after riding 30 kms before I filled up, it took, 18 litres to fill, so there was still 4 litres in the tank.  

It seems to me that the gauge is reading lower than it should.  Can it be calibrated?  

I achieved 265kms for 18 litres, with some pretty spirited riding in that time.  I would have hoped to be getting 300kms from a tank, what is my fuel consumption like? At just under 7 litres per 100km it's not much better than my SUV.

Sorry about all the questions!

Maddie

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Maddie said:

When I fill my tank up, on the centre stand, and filled right to the brim , the gauge reads one bar from full.  When filled up on the side stand it's 2 bars from full.  It started flashing on the last bar today and after riding 30 kms before I filled up, it took, 18 litres to fill, so there was still 4 litres in the tank.  

It seems to me that the gauge is reading lower than it should.  Can it be calibrated?  

I achieved 265kms for 18 litres, with some pretty spirited riding in that time.  I would have hoped to be getting 300kms from a tank, what is my fuel consumption like? At just under 7 litres per 100km it's not much better than my SUV.

Sorry about all the questions!

Maddie

Hi Maddie.

I can remember my three 6gen all required seriously filing to the top before the gauge really registered Full.

Fortunatley I've kept many fuel economy runs on a spreadsheet.

My 2004 Best run was 4.78ltr per 100k's - Worst was 5.84ltr per 100k's

My 2009 Best run was 4.9ltr per 100k's - Worst was 5.36ltr per 100k's

My 8gen is noticeably better again.

Mixed in with this are all sorts of twisty hilly stuff, along with longer normal stuff, and a load of luggage. But no stop/start city riding.

These are all on our Standard 91ron Fuel, never touch Ethanol crap. Your 7ltr per 100ks does not sound good at all ! Perhaps your definition of Spirited Riding might be different to mine!

What fuel do you use? Air filter clean? Is your bike modified in any way other than the exhausts?

Also the owners book states that when the E segment flashes you have approx 3.6ltr remaining. Does sound like the sensor/fuel gauge is reading low.

The service manual shows how to remove and check the float sensor, doesn't look too difficult to remove. You could easily bend the float rod slightly downward to correct the issue I guess.

Might be worth checking the 2P Blue connector for the Fuel Sensor Unit. Make sure it's a good clean connection and perhaps a squirt of electrical lubricant on the pins and sockets might improve things.

Hiya

Thanks for those figures, I suspected that my fuel economy was very low.  Mine is a low mileage bike, it just clicked over 15,000 kms today.  I have been using standard 91 octane fuel, too.  I have become addicted to the howl over 7000 rpm and spending too much time in that zone I think!   I'll go for an easy cruise somewhere and see what I can achieve.  I don't have an owner's book or service manual,  but have found the Download section, so will grab what I can.

Thanks for your help, Grum, I hope you are doing ok over there in Victoria

• Member Contributer
On 23 August 2020 at 6:31 PM, Maddie said:

Hiya

Thanks for those figures, I suspected that my fuel economy was very low.  Mine is a low mileage bike, it just clicked over 15,000 kms today.  I have been using standard 91 octane fuel, too.  I have become addicted to the howl over 7000 rpm and spending too much time in that zone I think!   I'll go for an easy cruise somewhere and see what I can achieve.  I don't have an owner's book or service manual,  but have found the Download section, so will grab what I can.

Thanks for your help, Grum, I hope you are doing ok over there in Victoria

You might be right there Maddie. Extended time in the 4 valve zone she gets very thirsty. It's a nice bike you have, take good care of it and it will look after you. 15000k's she's only just starting to loosen up.

Noticed with your bike photos. Have you tried your Venturer rack and bag in the 180deg position? You have it greatly hanging over the rear as in the pillion position, better with the weight fully over the rear wheel and still not to hard to throw your leg over, give it a try if you're not carrying a pillion.

No not much fun here with the lockdown, my VFR gently sleeps! Bummer.

It does seem as though your fuel gauge calibration is not the best.

Cheers.:fing02:

I rarely fill the bike up while it's on the centerstand, but when I do, and I can manage to fill it up almost to the very top, the fuel bar is completely up - but I don't get many miles out of the first fuel bar.  I haven't kept track of my 6th gen's fuel economy in many years, but I think I average 40-42 mpg, depending on how aggressively I'm riding, and whether the bike is laden with its loaded hardbags for a tour.

Some basic math:

5.8 gallons x 40 mpg = 232 miles

5.8 gallons/8 fuel bars = 0.725 gallons per fuel bar

232 miles/8 fuel bars = 29 miles per fuel bar.

But I don't think I've ever gotten 29 miles out of that first fuel bar.  I think the fuel gauge is mostly accurate, but not perfect.  I rarely ride into the flashing last fuel bar, as I don't want to risk running out of the fuel, but also because I don't trust the fuel gauge 100%.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/24/2020 at 12:44 PM, TimC said:

I rarely fill the bike up while it's on the centerstand, but when I do, and I can manage to fill it up almost to the very top, the fuel bar is completely up - but I don't get many miles out of the first fuel bar.  I haven't kept track of my 6th gen's fuel economy in many years, but I think I average 40-42 mpg, depending on how aggressively I'm riding, and whether the bike is laden with its loaded hardbags for a tour.

Some basic math:

5.8 gallons x 40 mpg = 232 miles

5.8 gallons/8 fuel bars = 0.725 gallons per fuel bar

232 miles/8 fuel bars = 29 miles per fuel bar.

But I don't think I've ever gotten 29 miles out of that first fuel bar.  I think the fuel gauge is mostly accurate, but not perfect.  I rarely ride into the flashing last fuel bar, as I don't want to risk running out of the fuel, but also because I don't trust the fuel gauge 100%.

Me neither, I zero my trip meter at every fill up and usually gas up again around 180 miles or so. I should one day take it past 200 miles, but I haven’t done that to date.

Archived