Mosfet on Gen 4

Hi from sunny Sydney Australia!

I have been been a member for a while lurking in the background but I don't think I've posted before.

I have blown the voltage regulator and wanted to confirm that the Mosfet FH020AA would fit directly onto the current mounting bolts of my 1997.  I'm making a model from the dimensions on https://www.roadstercycle.com/ but the hole locations aren't clear on the PDFs.  Some pics would be nice if you've done it please.

At the same time, would I be better off with SH775?   I understand the SH847 is newer but it's also much larger.  The SH775 looks about the same size as the FH020AA and I'm hoping it would fit also.

Alternatively could I also fit a Yamaha 1D7-81960-00-00.  From my reading it's an FH020 or equivalent - has anyone used one?  Any gotchas?

My end game is to replace the headlights with LED and I am concerned about the extra heat created in the VR by the reduce current of the LEDs.

Cheers

Bruce

• Member Contributer

R/R wise for your bike, I think the FH020aa is the better choice. I know it wont drop in at the stock spot, but I have seen a few threads where 4th gen guys have posted their mount up. 

Maybe they will chime in or search.... 

• Member Contributer

@Tightwad from wiremybike.com made me a plug&play mosfet for my 4th gen a long time ago.  Passed in on (with 50,000km on it) after my 4th gen passed away 4 years ago (totalled in a crash).

AFAIK the regulator is still doing it job well. 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

thought I should come back and finish the story.  Got a super kit from Jack at Roadster and fitted perfectly.  No dramas since. Fitted in the original spot using one of the mounts. had to grind one off of the old mounting bolts and drill a new bottom hole to fit it.

image.png.a38e805451b49f8940319ab36f5f777d.png

To keep it much cooler wire tie a pentium 4 cpu cooler on. Knocked about 40 c  off the running temp of mine when I fitted one. Has been working perfectly for 4 or 5 years.

Archived