Damn Mice chewed through 3 wires on my 97 VFR... help!

Obi VFRers....Y’all,

My fault for not riding my VFR enough, no excuses (thankyouverymuch 1974 CB360 fun). But I had a mouse nest in my 1997 VFR750 and I need your help, as they chewed through a 3 wire group on the right side, underneath the fuel tank.  The fully charged battery is now completely disconnected from the bike. No power gets to it. 

questions...

1.  What is this 3 wire group?

2. The brown wire I see where it goes, but the green and grey wire, I don’t see.  Where?

3. Anyone have experience with this?

4. Pictures of how it’s supposed to go?

Nozz

F881D4AD-E2F5-4703-8DE9-7EEAB3F20860.jpeg

06D583D8-42A9-412F-A55B-DCB87B2A7EB9.jpeg

CF044538-66D2-48F8-AF78-EA22F010683B.jpeg

• Member Contributer

A colour match for those three wires being Brown/Black, Gray/Black and Green/Black = The Fuel Level Sensor Unit.

Hope this helps. Nasty mice you guys have! Guess they're just like us and love VFR's!

image.png

Check other areas of the bike for damage. Mice can and will make a mess of things. I had them make a nest inside my air box. 

6 hours ago, RustyA said:

Check other areas of the bike for damage. Mice can and will make a mess of things. I had them make a nest inside my air box. 

Damn good idea.  I'll do that.  Thanks!

23 hours ago, Grum said:

A colour match for those three wires being Brown/Black, Gray/Black and Green/Black = The Fuel Level Sensor Unit.

Hope this helps. Nasty mice you guys have! Guess they're just like us and love VFR's!

image.png

Wow, that's impressive.  And perfect!  Thank you sir.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, Nozz said:

Wow, that's impressive.  And perfect!  Thank you sir.

You are most welcome Sir.

Hope it's just a simple case of repairing/patching up those three wires. Trust that pesky rodent hasn't done any other damage.

Good luck with the repair and hope you're up and running asap.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

I recognize that mess. There have been critter nests in two of the five fifth gens I've bought. Both were stored in pole barns. In both instances the nests were in the airbox. I guess there are a lot of mices with Good Taste (intended) in mc's out there. So I find it hard to hate them. And they keep Mojo, my Siberian Husky, occupied during our walks in the woods.

One of my mottos is: Always check for critters under the covers of fifth gen VFRs. It pays to consider the good taste of varmints of the world. I've embossed that and carry it in my wallet always. (Although, at age 71, I may have bought my last one a couple of years ago. By next spring I'll have a restored '98 to put on the market, guaranteed to be mouse free.)    

Years ago when I was an auto mechanic. Used to have customers who lived in the mountains bring their vehicles in for repair. Nothing was off limits for mice. Wiring, hoses, filters, seats, insulation, carpet. You name it, they chewed on it.  Spent weeks rewiring, replacing hoses on one car. 

Had a girl came in and said the A/C fan would vibrate and smell really bad on high. Dropped the fan and cage down. Found a mouse in the fan cage, dead. It was all I could do to keep from puking my guts out cleaning that fan cage. He smelled really BAD!

On 8/21/2020 at 8:58 PM, RustyA said:

that's VERY dangerous as acidic mouse pee can and has ruined carbs !

aug_1_2020_011.thumb.JPG.37cc837d98cbd77184224c820238ee64.JPG

19 hours ago, squirrelman said:

that's VERY dangerous as acidic mouse pee can and has ruined carbs !

aug_1_2020_011.thumb.JPG.37cc837d98cbd77184224c820238ee64.JPG

Yep, it ruined the ignition switch and I can now add that to the list of $300 repairs.  I've learned my lesson.  Ride more!!

On 8/21/2020 at 5:58 PM, RustyA said:

I had similar problem.

Took off the tank and the tiny ignition wires were chewed through.

Opened airbox and they had stored bird seed inside there. At least they didn't get in the throttle body 💀

$325 later, the bike runs.  Yay!  Besides the 3 wires, mice urine destroyed the ignition switch and to clean all the layers of nesting and feces, cost me big time.  I call it "stupid tax" for not riding enough.  And not have a garage built yet.  

• Member Contributer
On 9/4/2020 at 12:18 AM, Nozz said:

$325 later, the bike runs.  Yay!  Besides the 3 wires, mice urine destroyed the ignition switch and to clean all the layers of nesting and feces, cost me big time.  I call it "stupid tax" for not riding enough.  And not have a garage built yet.  

Mouse urine! That'd piss one off (intended)! And not having a garage could make keeping them out of vehicles a insurmountable problem. You have my sympathy and wishes for good luck.

After reading about the destruction of components I'm grateful neither of my nestings resulted in chewed things. 

I did a interweb search for mouse repellant and found there is some information that cayanne pepper and peppermint can be used as a repellant.

In my suburban 30' x 40' fenced back yard I constantly find criter corpses, mice, voles, etc. my Siberian Husky leaves behind. Before she came a year and a half ago, I'd never seen one in my yard (or house) and assumed the roaming neighborhood cats kept them under control. Wrong!

Archived