Toolkit suggestions for long trip?

motoadam

• Member Contributer
On 1/13/2021 at 1:37 PM, mello dude said:

I used to do "Fly and Rides"...fly to a location, rent a bike...(don't seem to be able to do that anymore.).  Quite a while back, flew into San Francisco, rented a brand spanking new 5th gen .......3000 miles, loop up Hwy 1, into Oregon, lots of wandering. ....Into Yosemite...... Glacier Point.....what? Yep ...rear flat tire... (wow) a bit of adventure....

(Park Rangers are awesome)

I've done those a couple of times; rode our bikes to Luton Airport where bikes park for free (well, they used to), fly to Malaga in Southern Spain, taxi to a nice hotel in Torremolinos (out of season and directly behind the San Miguel brewery) then walk 100m to collect 2 brand new Fazer 600s. The hills to the north contain some stunning and mostly empty roads and the weather is usually near perfect. Hotels are cheap and the food and wine superb, even in small villages.

Some excellent examples of toolkits and suggested contents, thanks all!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hey, if you are trapped inside due to Covid/snow right now, and want some epic VFR riding inspiration, the thread on this ride is still up on VFRD:

Forums>Rider Groups - Ride Planning>USA - West>Golden/Silver State 2015,  or:

BrianF is a professional grade photographer, and I will guarantee you will enjoy his pics, particularly on page 4 of the thread. Thanks Jim for the egg comment, you made me look this up!

• Member Contributer
On 1/21/2021 at 9:03 PM, St. Stephen said:

Gosh, my memory is that we were deeply concerned.  😉 

Not sure anyone had seen that solution before!

IMG_1328.JPG

Well, not laughing at me, but laughing at the eggs - it was way past breakfast time...

I was so heartbroken I had to cut that ride short, but now have a radiator guard, and I had always wondered why they sold those for street bikes.

• Member Contributer

I would also like to interview that rock, and found out what it's like to get spit out at ~100mph and puncture a radiator causing someone to end a long-planned ride a few days early. Must be a high point in a 500 million year, largely inactive existence.  😂

Must pack an egg or two .

One other thing I have done is cover the tank and rear fairing in paint protection film / helicopter tape 342638829_VFR800YELLOW.thumb.jpg.35cde64188c5b70a9f3913fcaf9c3d38.jpg to stop the tank bag / luggage scratching the paintwork. Its a bit fiddly to do, but not impossible, and I have found that doing it in sections is best. 

Everything is done, I am literally waiting for the weather to improve then im off............

Archived