Engine/ frame/ first gear problems

SpaceCowboy271

Hello all! I’m new to the forum but I’ve owned a 1996 VFR750 for about 6 months and I’ve been slowly restoring it so I had a couple of questions. 

1) Problem: Frame is noticeably hot to the touch where seat and gas tank meet the frame during short rides 2-5 miles 5-10 minutes, is this normal? 

Background: riding around town I notice that the frame, where the gas tank and seat meet, get noticeably warm. This was especially alarming because I noticed this happen even when on an extremely short ride maybe of two miles for less than 10 minutes. It’s not scalding but I can definitely notice it through my jeans while I ride or dismount the bike. 

I’ve disassembled and reassembled the entire cooling system, replaced the cooling fan (working) and flushed the system, in addition to checking the thermostat and water temperature sensor, temperature sensor sending unit so the bike isn’t overheating. 

2) Problem: first gear is jerky and inconsistent when off the throttle/ during deceleration. Other gears are smooth. 

Background: Engine breaking is not smooth in the least bit. 

This evens out when I apply throttle and engine breaking is smooth and consistent in all other gears so I was unsure if this is expected behavior. 

Hopefully this post is coherent, all help I’d appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

1) frames do heat up, and you did everything possible to eliminate it. check front of carb bank for presence (or lack) of a rubber block-off sheet used for heat control.

2)  seems like a carb problem which could be improved with cleaning , a good synch and mixture screw adjustment or a jetkit. the federally-mandated lean condition will cause your symptoms.

Archived