Wheel Spacers

Manny78

Gentleman 

Need some help with a wheel spacer. This is the front left spacer. Seems much too skinny and fits very shallow within the dust seal.  I noticed two spacers are available for the front right on the usual sites(partszilla, bike bandit). Is this the wrong one?  Of course I can’t find the old one to compare. 

Thanks. 

723F019A-F390-4E74-A4BF-BE7E7EB518C8.jpeg

18F1C394-B7EA-4253-AFD3-33E3F9E4BC7C.jpeg

• Member Contributer

On the 4th gen at least, the spacers are a different size L/R...

• Member Contributer

Yeah, don't pound on the axle; it should be a slip-fit by hand if the forks are reasonably aligned. Worst thing is by forcing the axle through, you might push the nearside fork inwards and that causes more binding of the bushes and also a slight wheel misalignment (bike may pull to the other side). Once the axle bolt is tightened, leave the clamps loose and give the forks a good bounce to help the loose leg find its natural (and aligned) resting place. Then tighten the clamps.

• Member Contributer

There's actually a procedure you can follow to ensure that the forks and axle are aligned properly.  Several steps to it, but darned if I can remember them (or where I found it).  It reminds me of something from the Big List...anyone remember the Texas VFR Garage pages?  Maybe it was a Bruce Wilson tech procedure?

Sad thing is I probably have it saved somewhere in my Motorcycle files...but can I find it, lol...

[EDIT: Whaddyerknow, I found it: https://web.archive.org/web/20041021090924/http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/forkheight.htm]

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
On 8/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, Terry said:

Yeah, don't pound on the axle; it should be a slip-fit by hand if the forks are reasonably aligned. Worst thing is by forcing the axle through, you might push the nearside fork inwards and that causes more binding of the bushes and also a slight wheel misalignment (bike may pull to the other side). Once the axle bolt is tightened, leave the clamps loose and give the forks a good bounce to help the loose leg find its natural (and aligned) resting place. Then tighten the clamps.

Dave Moss (Two Clicks Out) also has a good video on this subject.

Archived