So the wife said...

trmoyer

This morning when checking the coolant & the connections after installing a new water pump last night my wife comes into the garage and said, “if we’re keeping this thing maybe we should look at picking up some spare parts before thing might be hard to get”. 🤔 

Out of curiosity what do you guy keep on the shelf or would tuck away for the future? What are common items / parts that seem to be problematic for 5th gen owners considering being a couple decades old? Relays, switches, sensors, pumps, fuses, bearings, etc? 

• Member Contributer

STATOR! & RR!   Lol. Though you could go with a different RR. 

Would be worth at least getting a VFRness wiring harness. 

Those are my top issues. 

• Member Contributer

Body panels, fuel tank.

Do "The Drill" once a year.

Spend the rest on fuel, motels and restaurants. In others words: put loadsa miles on the tacho....

:tongue:

• Member Contributer

Factory decals in case you ever have to paint anything. Red, Silver and Yellow 5th Gen are the only ones still available for all positions. Agree on a good used tank and any decent panels for a just-in-case. That stuff usually goes up in value on desirable bikes so generally easy to get your money back later.

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

I'm surprised none of the MBD people have inputted yet - a back up bike!  :D  Two is one and one is none...  haha

In Australia we have a vaccine for MBD. They strangle your finances. Just recently paid the annual fees for my VFR.

Registration Fees = $627

Insurance Fee = $400

Can't afford too many bikes with fees like that!:pissed:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

In Australia we have a vaccine for MBD. They strangle your finances. Just recently paid the annual fees for my VFR.

Registration Fees = $627

Insurance Fee = $400

Can't afford too many bikes with fees like that!:pissed:

All the more reason to own a VFR - if you can only own one . . . it's the one to have! 

Aaaaaaah yes, I hadn’t thought about decals! 

A back up bike is being “negotiated” 😁. In the past we’d had two bikes at different times and it really was a blessing. 

Not specific to 5th gens, but I'd recommend fairing clips, fairing bolts, and a set of hand levers.  As for bike-specific, I'd say a spare windshield - or upgrade if you have a stock screen, and keep the original as a spare.  None of these things are super expensive or especially rare, but good luck finding them locally or quickly if you need them fast.

I’m starting to put a basic laundry list together. I’m liking the ideas and suggestions. Google is my friend!

With the exception of a 92’ Ducati 900 SS everything I’ve owned has been from new to still recent and spares or pieces parts were easily obtainable. 

• Member Contributer

- Probably good to grab a set of silicon cooling hoses, if yours is OEM - its time.... 

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-vfr-800-fi-1998-2001-high-performance-silicone-radiator-hoses-red/

- Also, grab a thermostat... 

-- A "to do" is"the drill" - charging system heath check. Do NOW or be stranded.. 

- What is the mileage on your bike? The R/Rs on 5th gens are notorious to die.... 

www.roadstercycle.com is the place to grab an upgrade. 

-- If wired properly, skip the vfrness. (Waste of good beer money)

--- A very good "to do" NOW is to add a voltmeter up front so you can see what is going on and what for any trends that the bike tend to have. 

- Depending on your plans with the bike, a suspension upgrade is well worthwhile.. ... 

check.....DMr motorsports - Jamie Daughtry is the guy... 

-Also, a bit of controversy... Lots of guys rip out the linked brake system and change forks in the front, with other Honda calipers.....(I'm guilty)

---- RC51/954/F4i  --- Simple fork upgrade to F4i and the previous calipers are drop in. You would need some 6th triples and bars for that. 

---- And a "while I'm at it job is to change out the steering stem bearings, they tend to go after awhile, if OEM today, they are due... 

--If looking for more UMPH.... you can get performance headers with a group here... 

- Another job you may like is to pull the pair pump system off the bike... I sell block off plates for that..... 

And an overall welcome to the madness... :beer:

-My bike is identical to yours.... There's probably no bolt, screw, nut. bearing, or electronic thingy or whatever I havent touched, and probably more to come...

(That little bastard  devil on my shoulder keeps going, "hey whatabout" ) ---  yeah, I'm a whackjob. 

Flip though my gallery for ideas....  

• Member Contributer

5th Gen stator is NLA from Honda, so no need to search for one to keep on the shelf. But, sending one out to Westcountry Windings to get rewound would be a good idea.

If you already have a Roadstercycle SH847 or FH020 Kit, no need to keep a R/R. 

The fuel pump components are NLA from Honda, separately, so one can only buy the entire assembly. It used to be ~$340USD. However, Honda has seen fit to put the screws to us and jacked the price to ~$500USD. The alternatives are the Bosch #0580453453 pump and Rolodex #HFP-F120 filter. No need to stock either of those, at this point. 

Water pump rebuild kits and/or rebuilt water pumps are commonly available on eBay. New, OEM pumps cross-reference to many other bikes. 

Bodywork is crazy expensive. Last I checked, Honda only had left fairings remaining, at ~$550USD. Everything else is NLA, including the decals. The supply of used bodywork is quite a ways from drying up. 

I can’t think of anything else that isn’t commonly available, in some form.

If you crash the bike, throw it in the corner for parts, and go buy another. 

• Member Contributer

As far as "The Drill" goes, skip to the end and get the FH020 or SH847 R/R and you'll not likely need a stator.  Voltmeter recommended nonetheless on any bike.

Ditch those dumb fairing clips and use the push-pin type that you can re-use.

I keep a couple of spare fairing screws in my stash.

Check the ground spider connector up front, lube with contact paste and check the ground screw on the right side of the frame.

Install a battery tender harness and keep the battery fresh if the bike sits for a week or more.

Major job to replace all the coolant hoses with a silicone kit, along with a thermostat, but peace of mind.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, raYzerman said:

As far as "The Drill" goes, skip to the end and get the FH020 or SH847 R/R and you'll not likely need a stator. 

"Meten is weten"; the rest is guesswork :goofy:

• 3 weeks later...

Bodywork for sure. Although someone on here said the supply of second hand is not drying up yet, most of what I have seen second hand is scrap . 

I am able to repair bodywork, but only if its not too bad  and much of what has been down the road is beyond that.

I have already started getting bodywork as and when I find it. 

Everything else is pretty much available. There bikes were very well made and other than rusty/weathered fasteners most things cleaned up or have been  replaced with stainless steel or titanium bolts as they were cheaper than the original Honda parts.

Decals can be made and I get many of mine from image works. Excellent and cheap.

http://www.bike-stickers.com/homepage.htm

I have used them many times and they have never let me down .

Archived