Pillion seat lock help!

apscurrah

Hi folks, the latch mechanism that unlocks the pillion seat has failed. Anyone had this happen and/or know how to get in there to release the seat? As far as I can tell the whole rear end is bolted together from under the seat. I can’t see a way to dismantle it from underneath. Any advice much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, apscurrah said:

Hi folks, the latch mechanism that unlocks the pillion seat has failed. Anyone had this happen and/or know how to get in there to release the seat? As far as I can tell the whole rear end is bolted together from under the seat. I can’t see a way to dismantle it from underneath. Any advice much appreciated emoji847.png

Sounds like a bit of a dilemma!

When you say failed, is there any chance something stored under the seat has moved and jammed the latch? If so perhaps greatly leaning the bike over and some gentle fist banging underneath migh move the item out of the way of the latch. Just a thought!

Have you tried contacting a Honda dealership or Honda MPE Customer Service Australia for assistance? Wonder if a good locksmith could help you out.

Sorry for the lack of help, sympathise with your situation, it's a tricky one!

• Member Contributer

This is how the 4th gen latch looks like

IMG_20200811_124441.thumb.jpg.02b50dc69d40fa840e67f6e159aa663e.jpg

That bolt will come loose over the years, so put a longer one in and put a nut on

IMG_20200811_124453.thumb.jpg.3e601b6bbade407cc0b96929c049f7cf.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I can’t access the lock mechanism, if I could it wouldn’t be a problem. The setup is a bit different on the Crossy, the latch is in the same place but the lock is off to one side with a cable.

Similar thing happened on my VFR800 VTEC for exactly same reason as described elsewhere: the bolt securing the latch mechanism came loose. What worked for me was careful leverage to create enough of a gap to push through a hook to pull the latch. I used a flat flexible stainless steel core from a windscreen wiper blade. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, apscurrah said:

Thanks for the replies. I can’t access the lock mechanism, if I could it wouldn’t be a problem. The setup is a bit different on the Crossy, the latch is in the same place but the lock is off to one side with a cable.

Take a sturdy wire

Make a hook

Sit comformatibly next to bike

Bring 6 pack  beer

Try and keep trying to hook cable

• Member Contributer

5 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Make a hook

For original poster: If you're scrounging for a wire hook, try a spoke from a bicycle wheel. You can even screw two together end to end if you need something longer.

GOT IT! Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier but you can still access the two screws that fasten the rear of the front seat and remove it. Once you’ve done that it’s simply a matter of reaching under the rear seat and pushing the latch towards the RHS of the bike.

Thanks for you comments people

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, apscurrah said:

GOT IT! emoji12.png Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier but you can still access the two screws that fasten the rear of the front seat and remove it. Once you’ve done that it’s simply a matter of reaching under the rear seat and pushing the latch towards the RHS of the bike.

Thanks for you comments people

Excellent. Now that's a good trick to remember. Lucky you had the soft sponge cushion of the pillion seat allowing  access to the seat screws. I guess the 800X doesn't have the option of the rear cowl like the 800F, you wouldn't be able to get to the seat screws with that on.

Cheers.

Archived