Oil change time VFR800 FiX- how much should it need?

J800VFR

Hi,

I've just done an oil & filter change on my 1999/2000 VFR800 FiX.

The Haynes manual says it requires 2.9 litres of oil for a basic change an 3.1 litres if the filter is also changed (which I did).

With the bike on the centre stand, i filled it so that the oil level was in directly between the lower and upper levels on the sight glass, which took almost exactly 3 litres and then I ran the engine for a couple of minutes at idle.

The level then dropped, which I assume is when it had filed the new filter.  I then shut the engine off and topped it up which required another 300ml of oil.

However; I may have added slightly too much oil as it's now just on the upper level in the sight glass instead of between the two levels.

Also I notice that when I restart the engine the level in the glass drops down blow the minimum line.

Is this OK?

Yes. It is fine. That is not too mutch overfilled. There is now a little bit more oil to handle but not that muthc to come out somewhere. Youl should be fine. 

I change oil like: Bottom plug out, filler out, filter little lose to get some air on engine. Looong time to waiting and filter off. New filter on and plug in tight. Fill some fresh oil 3,1 ltrs and engine on. Everytime right between lines and keep that hole summer. Between 5 to 7k kilometres. There is no dancer because that capacity is small anyway. And that oil level decrease when starting up: Engine graps oil what needed. Not dangerous. Any motor do the same when oilpump works like should be. You dont have too anything more than ride. Mutch!! 😁 

• Member Contributer

You should have the oil to the sight glass upper level when cold after the engine has run. Never let it get below the lower mark. Maximum oil reduces the wear on the oil, minimum oil engine runs hottest & it won't last aa long. 

YMMV

Archived