Is it bad I'm already bored of my VFR800?

eNiMaLx

Today marks exactly 1 month since I got my license and my 2003 VFR800. In that time, I've ridden 2500 miles, of which 300 miles were in pure hard twisties. I've pushed it near to its limits at low speeds in an empty parking lot, I almost managed to drag my knee in that same parking lot, I've ridden it on highways and beautiful backroads in all conditions save for cold weather, I've done small unintentional wheelies that happened when I went full throttle with a passenger, I've gotten used to the sport touring position, and I've become mechanically intimate with it replacing the tires, replacing the chain and sprocket, rebuilding both forks and reinstalling the OEM exhaust. I think all I'm missing is a track day and riding in the cold, but I think I'm already bored of the VFR800... The V4 engine sounds nice (I personally prefer it with the stock exhaust vs the un-baffled Leo Vince the previous owner put on it), but I was expecting the 3.4 s 0-60 acceleration to overwhelm me. Instead, all it does now is leave me with a feeling of wanting more. I really thought I would keep this VFR800 forever, but after having ridden it for some extensive time now, I think I'm now going to replace it with a liter bike :(.... I guess it's farewell now. You were a great sport tourer in the short time I had you. You were a great first bike, yet you excelled at nothing and perhaps that's why we were never meant to be together forever.

• Member Contributer

When you replace it with a liter bike you may end up missing it. The advantage (if you want to call it that) of a VFR vs a CBR1000RR is that it doesn't *have* to be ridden like a race bike. You can avoid the highway tax collectors better on a VFR than a CBR. My experience on CBRs, Rs, ZXRs, is that they are boring and painful if you're not going license remover speed on them. That's great for the track but hazardous for the street.

That said, the Ducati SuperSport is a little lighter and better powered but can still be ridden sanely on the street, perhaps its more up your alley? I hope you find what you're after, keep the rubber side down.

59 minutes ago, lazyeye said:

When you replace it with a liter bike you may end up missing it. The advantage (if you want to call it that) of a VFR vs a CBR1000RR is that it doesn't *have* to be ridden like a race bike. You can avoid the highway tax collectors better on a VFR than a CBR. My experience on CBRs, Rs, ZXRs, is that they are boring and painful if you're not going license remover speed on them. That's great for the track but hazardous for the street.

That said, the Ducati SuperSport is a little lighter and better powered but can still be ridden sanely on the street, perhaps its more up your alley? I hope you find what you're after, keep the rubber side down.

Well, when you put it that way...

I guess I'm going to go with a naked bike even though my love will always be in full-fairing bikes. I'm sticking with the Japanese brands for now as I don't have the money to maintain exotic bikes haha...

• Member Contributer

My RC36-2 4th gen got wrecked in 2016. Bought a 2003 RC51 to accompany my VF500F2.

Also bought a 1954 Gilera 150cc and had a VF400F.

2 weeks ago got another 4th gen and finished recommissioning it.  Did a long ride/blast yesterday 

Conclusion?   If I ever can only own ONE motorcycle, it will be a 4th gen :wheel:

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

My RC36-2 4th gen got wrecked in 2016. Bought a 2003 RC51 to accompany my VF500F2.

Also bought a 1954 Gilera 150cc and had a VF400F.

2 weeks ago got another 4th gen and finished recommissioning it.  Did a long ride/blast yesterday 

Conclusion?   If I ever can only own ONE motorcycle, it will be a 4th gen :wheel:

Have you ever tried a fifth gen Dutchy? Until you have you would not know that fifth gens are the ONE to own.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, eNiMaLx said:

yet you excelled at nothing and perhaps that's why we were never meant to be together forever.

One of the best comments (and compliments) I can recall about VFR's in general was that  "They are not the best at anything but are the best at being good at everything".  My guess is that you'll find out quickly the multiple personalities many liter bikes share - for one your arse may end up suing you for divorce because of the cramped ergonomics on rides any longer than an hour.  Something like the Z1000 or similar could be exceptions (but wow, a face only a mother could love . . . :ohmy: ).  Also, maybe only a few have factory luggage available for them (there are exceptions of course).  And on long rides the "bumble bee in a tin can" drone from an in-line 4 gets very tiresome - whereas the sweet rumble from the V4 can be pleasant for a 500 mile day.   A skilled pilot on just about any well maintained VFR can keep up with liter bikes except where there are long straight stretches where it's the physics of mass & drag vs hp.  If it's the exhilaration of the rush of power you seek then yes, 140+hp is what you need and will not find with a VFR.  But as mentioned, if you can own just one bike, my $.02 is that you will look back on your VFR and say what so many that have sold them have said - "I should NEVER have sold that bike".  I can't ever recall hearing someone with a liter bike saying that - they're everywhere and lack the soul and character of our beloved V4's.  And in the end your skilled V4 buddies will pull up right along with you at the next rest stop.   To each their own - hopefully you find what you seek.   As always - YMMV.

Cheers

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

One of the best comments (and compliments) I can recall about VFR's in general was that  "They are not the best at anything but are the best at being good at everything".  My guess is that you'll find out quickly the multiple personalities many liter bikes share - for one your arse may end up suing you for divorce because of the cramped ergonomics on rides any longer than an hour.  Something like the Z1000 or similar could be exceptions (but wow, a face only a mother could love . . . :ohmy: ).  Also, maybe only a few have factory luggage available for them (there are exceptions of course).  And on long rides the "bumble bee in a tin can" drone from an in-line 4 gets very tiresome - whereas the sweet rumble from the V4 can be pleasant for a 500 mile day.   A skilled pilot on just about any well maintained VFR can keep up with liter bikes except where there are long straight stretches where it's the physics of mass & drag vs hp.  If it's the exhilaration of the rush of power you seek then yes, 140+hp is what you need and will not find with a VFR.  But as mentioned, if you can own just one bike, my $.02 is that you will look back on your VFR and say what so many that have sold them have said - "I should NEVER have sold that bike".  I can't ever recall hearing someone with a liter bike saying that - they're everywhere and lack the soul and character of our beloved V4's.  And in the end your skilled V4 buddies will pull up right along with you at the next rest stop.   To each their own - hopefully you find what you seek.   As always - YMMV.

Cheers

Well said swell brother.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Have you ever tried a fifth gen Dutchy? Until you have you would not know that fifth gens are the ONE to own.

When I traded my 4th gen for my then new 5th, the 1st thing I noticed was the much improved handling of the 5th.  When pushed hard or under hard braking, the 4th gen is sprung too soft and has insufficient damping leading to wallowing and porpoising.  But ridden at cruising speeds for touring it's very sublime and quite comfortable.  I also personally think the linked brakes on the 5th gen is a brilliant system for the street rider and I took to it immediately.  To the 4th gen's credit, I don't think there's a bike ever made that had better fueling  - it's magical how right Honda got it.  They hit perfection of carburetion right as that era closed.  From idle to redline it's absolutely linear with no dips or hesitation and a joy to ride. I'd also say the 4th gen's build quality was also at an apex - everything about it is just wonderfully crafted.  If I owned a 4th gen again I would send my forks and shock off to Jamie D. for a rework (I would, too on a 5th gen - but I wouldn't view it as urgent a need).  Once that was sorted I'd be indifferent between and 4th and 5th gen - it would come down to personal preference - looks, etc.  Both are beautiful bikes. 

Archived