'03 VFR800 rear caliper swap?

MJH

Hey all ... so my "newest bike" is a 70k '03 which was just toooo good a deal to pass on. I basically spend the last 2-3 weeks going through the whole thing ... mainly just been ridden, and ridden, and ridden some more!! Professional services and bathing seem to be something this bike has not seen in quite a while! Fork seals appear to have been leaking for at least a decade or more! Oil Everywhere on the bike, from the forks to the swingarm. So lots and lots of "toothbrush cleaning", taking everything apart, cleaning/cleaning/cleaning, and then putting it all back together. Except for taking out the engine/intake system, taking off the swingarm/shock, or messing with the rear hub assembly ... everything else has been dealt with. Luckily, pretty much everything was there, lot's of stuff was very subpar as far as fixing things as they wore, or acted up. One of the previous owners had a thing for duct tape and zip ties it seems!! Lots of stuff disconnected or hooked up wrong, or just flat out repaired like CRAP!

Bike runs GREAT, and am fairly happy with it ... LOVE the motor! So to my question(will be many more to come I am sure?) ... I am not thrilled with the forks shock whatsoever. Bike is basically completely stock, which is good in many ways, but at the same time, none of the good bits on it. Had a line on another '03 I was going to buy, and then just resell after I pilfered all the goodies off it ... Stay-in-Tune exhaust, Penske shock, rear hugger, and a few other items. The suspension is surely functional, and I already addressed the fork seals, but I am used to a lot better.

So my plan is a front end swap from one of my race bikes ... have 2 front ends to choose from. These are an easy swap right into the stock triples, but later may end up swapping those too, cause the VFR ones aren't nearly as beefy as my other ones. Might be able to use one of my other shocks as well, but the spring would need to be a lot heavier for that. So then I will just remove all the brakes intact, and set them aside. I'm wondering what/if there's an easy swap from an earlier VFR/Hawk/etc. that will be an easy bolt on for the rear caliper? I need a single pot rear caliper, and then will just run a direct like from rear M/C to the caliper. I'd prefer to just keep it from Honda for now, trying to keep it simple, unless the aftermarket is that much easier? I know there's a common use Brembo that might just bolt right up ... the "P32 or P34 caliper", I believe? The '03 is underslung, so if it involves going to an overslung caliper, then I will also need the caliper carrier/bracket that mounts to the hub, and I assume a different torque arm too? I found a Hawk parting out that is local, but I am out of town 'til the weekend, so I won't be able to go see what he has 'til then. The Hawk is overslung, but I don't mind that if I can get all the stuff. and just bolt it all on?

I figure I can just start a bunch of Google image searching, and going through Honda parts to see what's needed ... but figured this resource can get me on the right path quicker, likely from stuff that has already been researched and installed. The other option is just eliminating one of the banjos on the stock caliper, but I'd rather take the whole assembly off complete and put it aside for now. I believe the rear banjo is the one that links back to the front brakes, and vice versa? So let me know folks ... sorry about the rambling ... get carried away sometimes when posting with TMI!! I appreciate any/all feedback in advance!!

Archived