Vibrating 2014 18k miles

chutta

Just picked up a used 2014 vfr from a dealer, the prev customer having their VIP maintenance coverage. Meticulous fluid mainenance incl clutch/brake fluids,

Tires changed by dealer after trade-in dunlop Q3's.

Went on a experimental run to see if this bike would tour reasonably comfortable on a run to the Dragon from GR mi.

About 100 miles out, the bike starts a vertical vibration or oscillation from about 38 mph to 50 or more. First thought it was pavement, but it persisted all the way home about 50 miles away.

Suspected I might have thrown a wheel balance weight?

found an open spot next to an existing weight in front where an additional one may have been stuck to the tape. Siliconed a equiv weight sinker next to it, no change.

The rear just has a 2-3" empty strip of tape where weights had been. There is no stickum whatsoever to the remnant leading me to believe the wheel balanced without them?

Happens clutch in or out. Don't seem to sense it til 3rd gear thru 5. Most pronounced in 5th, diminished in 6th. The frequency of this vibe/oscillation seems to stay constant regardless of rpm.

With the maintenance history and judging by how smoothly this operated, changing like a light switch leads me to hopefully believe that it can't be something catastrophic like a failing end bearing, connecting rod bearing. purchased without a ext warranty on faith judging from the maintenance record I was given and it IS a Honda

• Member Contributer

Get Both wheels re-balanced by a reputable tire company, your issues certainly smells of tire imbalance, or potentially an out of round tire, then recheck your bike.

Good Luck.

Going in this morning 10am. finally got a break from all the thunderstorm forecasts for Maryville Tenn this week. Went to Dragon last year for first time, but on my '12Yammie Roadstar

• Member Contributer

Fact 1... Tires are elastic bodies and cannot be produced absolutely
round without imbalance. Therefore balance is paramount after fitting
a new tire...

Fact 2... Dynamic balancing is the preferred method because the wheel
is rotating and measures the deviation of masses with respect to
center...

How much weight is too much??? if you employ more than 3.5 ounces of
lead weight which is 14 1/4 stick on lead weights to the tire it can
be judged defective in manufacturing and you may request a refund or
replacement... contact the seller and state your gripe...

Took to dealer yesterday and waited and waited. See they took the bike from outside. To work on it? No, to store it. 

Wouldn't take appointments and apparently everyone is supposed to store their stuff til they get to it, using the virus to justify this along with their huge backlog.

Sales/serv mgr intervened and they put a tech on it late afternoon. He test rode it and I saw it on a stand. Tech tried to tell me that a quarter sized squished down piece of tar caused it and that the wheel balanced without any additional weight. 

On return home day of event, I pulled over and purposely crept the bike along looking for foreign objects, bulges etc. None being there I knew he was full of it. He claims he retested it.

Sure enough on ride home, no change.

Took it up to my closer dealer and had them balance the rear, them adding 10grams. 

Issue still there on retesting. 

Happens clutch in or out noticeable in 3-5th gear, most pronounced in 5th with some mirror minor<1/4" bouncing and seems to disappear in 6th and the speeds over 55.

At this point, since he basically blew me off likely, my next move will be taking the front up to other dealer(only 2 in town)

• Member Contributer

Tight spot in the chain?

Have you checked both sprockets?

lubed the chain couple days ago. sprockets look ok.

The owner's manual calls for 1-1 3/8 slack  along bottom, but there is only about an inch or less to the chain guide along the swingarm, which it will hit when I push on the chain

an oem chain usually gets badly worn by 20k and may need replacement if correct chain slack can't be maintained after rotating rear wheel a few turns and checking for loose and tight spots.

• Member Contributer

Have any checks been done to see if a tire is out of round? It's rare but it does happen. Just can't think there would be anything else that could cause your "vertical vibration or oscillation"!

Also, and don't laugh, but are your pressures correct, front 36psi and rear 42psi?

If you are able to slap your chain up against the swing arm it may be a little loose, just try a tad more chain tension, see if that changes anything.

Good Luck.

Thanx for the tips. Weather forecast changed back to 50%+ chance of thunderstorms for the week in Maryville Tenn.

Taking the cruiser either to samo up nort' to da U.P. or west cheese country driftless region

So I tightened the chain a bit and looking at the gauge, I'm in the red zone and the teeth are not like new.

I checked the tires for out of round with a straight edge on the floor, eying the gap with a led light backdrop.

Both have easily at the most a hair over 1/16" variance. Tire pressure was a little high and reseated the front rim accord to a video from Dave Moss tuning on Youtube.

Tested it a little and seemed to diminish it.

Is changing out the chain just a matter of getting a chain break tool and wrapping the new one around and then resecuring the link, or is this going to involve getting the swing arm pivot out of the way to put the chain around it?

• Member Contributer

New chain & sprockets are fairly simple, the gearbox sprocket is just under the cover .... all you need is a river tool

If you have a worn rear sprocket then there’s a chance the chain has been jumping around particularly as you mentioned more than 1” of slack

• Member Contributer

Keep us posted please... I saw that bike at the dealership for a few years. Tried to talk my roommate into buying it?

• Member Contributer

Push the lower part of the chain up and grab (put on a glove if you donot like dirty fingers) the chain at the 3 o'clock position on the sprocket. If you can move it off the sprocket, it is worn.

I reckon new chain and sprockets will fix this

Archived