No headlights

Eylonb

Vfr800 2010 non abs model
 all fuses and bulbs are okay and  high beam lights DO come on when i push  flash-to-pass switch but high beam lights DO NOT come on when i activate the light switch on the left handset 
When the light switch on high beam and i push flash to pass both high and low beam come on

what could be the issue ?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Eylonb said:

Vfr800 2010 non abs model
 all fuses and bulbs are okay and  high beam lights DO come on when i push  flash-to-pass switch but high beam lights DO NOT come on when i activate the light switch on the left handset 
When the light switch on high beam and i push flash to pass both high and low beam come on

what could be the issue ?

Check your starter switch. The starter switch has additional contacts that control your headlight relays, so when cranking headlights are OFF. Sometimes the switch can become sticky and doesn't fully return to remake those contacts meaning no headlights.

With ignition to off give the starter switch a squirt of WD40, exercise the switch and see how that goes.

Just now, Grum said:

Check your starter switch. The starter switch has additional contacts that control your headlights relays so when cranking headlights are off. Sometimes the switch can becomes sticky and doesn't fully return to remake those contacts meaning no headlights.

With ignition to off give the starter switch a squirt of WD40, exercise the switch and see how it goes.

Dissassemble it first or to just squirt inside the switch ?

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Eylonb said:

Thank you in advance

Sorry, BUT are your Low beams working normally? Is it Only an issue with High beam?

3 minutes ago, Grum said:

Sorry, BUT are your Low beams working normally? Is it Only an issue with High beam?

No,they dont

Only if i put light switch on high beam and i push flash to pass both high and low beam come on

without flash to pass non of them work

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Eylonb said:

No,they dont

Only if i put light switch on high beam and i push flash to pass both high and low beam come on

without flash to pass non of them work

OK. Then it's looking like the Starter Switch issue. What you've explained is exactly what will happen if the Starter Switch is NOT making the lighting contacts when released.

A good way to exercise the Starter Switch once you've given it a squirt of WD40 is to set your red KILL SWITCH to the OFF position. Then, with Ignition to ON you can activate the Starter Switch (engine won't crank) numerous times and observe your headlights, they should be ON until you press the Starter Switch then they should be OFF.

Lets know how you go.

18 hours ago, Grum said:

OK. Then it's looking like the Starter Switch issue. What you've explained is exactly what will happen if the Starter Switch is NOT making the lighting contacts when released.

A good way to exercise the Starter Switch once you've given it a squirt of WD40 is to set your red KILL SWITCH to the OFF position. Then, with Ignition to ON you can activate the Starter Switch (engine won't crank) numerous times and observe your headlights, they should be ON until you press the Starter Switch then they should be OFF.

Lets know how you go.

Nothing happend

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Eylonb said:

Nothing happend

Well that's a bit of bad luck. I know of at least two VFR's including my own 2009 that lubing the switch did fix the issue.

You now need to check the Starter Switch for continuity and its wiring.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Do you have a wiring diagram of your bike?

Attached is the area you are going to need to check. You need to know when NOT pressing the Starter Switch you should have continuity between the Brown/Blue wire and the Blue/White wires.

Then you also need to verify you have 12v at the Brown/Blue wire with Ignition to ON. You will probably need to locate the RED 9P connector down from the switch assembly to do these checks.

image.png

9 hours ago, Grum said:

Well that's a bit of bad luck. I know of at least two VFR's including my own 2009 that lubing the switch did fix the issue.

You now need to check the Starter Switch for continuity and its wiring.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Do you have a wiring diagram of your bike?

Attached is the area you are going to need to check. You need to know when NOT pressing the Starter Switch you should have continuity between the Brown/Blue wire and the Blue/White wires.

Then you also need to verify you have 12v at the Brown/Blue wire with Ignition to ON. You will probably need to locate the RED 9P connector down from the switch assembly to do these checks.

image.png

Well it ended up being the switch

I made a simple bypass and it works perfectly

Thank you in advance mate

Archived