Differences in front cowl and front cowl stay between 02 and 06 model

Hi there,

Following a stupid move at low speed my 2004 VFR had fallen over the right side and got a bent in the front cowl stay and some bruises on the cowl itself.

Looking to replace the stay (metal frame), as the cowl is no longer aligned properly , I can only find a replacement (even as used) for >2006 VFR. Looking at the parts fiche I also see that there are two slightly different P/Ns for the part:

2002-2006 - 64500-MCW-D00

2006 onward - 64500MCWH00

I'm actually seeing different P/N between VFR800 and VFR800A (02-06 -> 64500-MCW-D10 vs 06-on -> 64500-MCW-H10). What's all this about? What could be different.

Looking at the diagrams the only difference I can spot is the ECU tray being somewhat different.

This is the part I'm interested in:

spacer.png

Does anyone have any idea if I can use the one meant for 2006 and newer?

Thanks,

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I don’t know if it’ll be a direct replacement fit. I’m going to guess not, but with enough determination you’ll figure out how to overcome the hurdles and make it work with a little modification and ingenuity. Go for it. 

• Member Contributer

If you're seeing different P/N's on the A models, it might be that there's a provision for the ABS control module not present on non-ABS models.  That would seem odd though - the extra cost of producing and stocking an added part number for maybe some small tabs to hold another or different spec module seems high . . . Certainly the main attach points for the bodywork are the same - the differences are likely minor, such as provision(s) to hold a different size module(s) or sightly different placement of relays, or similar.  Maybe get yours removed and then compare it to the drawings in the fiche to see if anything is apparent.  As mentioned, you should able to adapt to what are likely minor differences. 

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi, the 06 on has a different ECU ( that when the VTEC transition was changed), so the small change will be there for a start. The ECU is held in place with a plastic cover on the older one. The ECU on the late one is held in place with a bolted on metal bracket. I don't know of any other changes but can't see any.

Archived