Heat shield removal

Himble

Hi folks, I need to remove the heat shield on the RHS near the foot peg ('01 Gen5).  I refer to the metal shield which is held by two bolts towards the front, and another bolt holding the brake proportioning.

Are there any tips/tricks with this as I'm having trouble removing it.

TIA

• Member Contributer

As raYzerman noted, it does take a bit of fiddling but not too tricky to remove. With good lighting and a soft pad for your knees you ought to be able to see what the hang up is.

While you have it off you might consider painting it - I went with a silver-grey trying to match the frame.

5aad43c34f211_99VFR800004.jpg.41536f2541b53e15991641e2670c6872.jpg

Thanks guys! 👍

Lorne, that's the exact reason I want to take it off.....it has some scuffing etc. so I thought I'd remove it and repaint. 

EDIT:  Further to the above advice, after removing the master cyl. bolts I still couldn't tease the shield out.
After perusing the service manual, I loosened the pivot nut so that I could pull the footpeg holder out a tad and was then able to remove the shield.

I have the required tools incl. torque wrench to tighten the pivot nut after re-installing the shield.

With the help of a local Honda motorcycle restorer and long time friend, I have obtained a can of enamel paint which very closely matches the OEM paint colour on the shield.  I've since removed the existing paint and the underlying rust trails and will respray the shield tomorrow.

For those that are interested, the paint is Dupli-Color DSH95.  It's commonly available here in Oz.

Cheers

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Himble said:

With the help of a local Honda motorcycle restorer and long time friend, I have obtained a can of enamel paint which very closely matches the OEM paint colour on the shield.  I've since removed the existing paint and the underlying rust trails and will respray the shield tomorrow.

For those that are interested, the paint is Dupli-Color DSH95.  It's commonly available here in Oz.

Cheers

That DSH95 matches the red paint? 

Can't seem to find it online anywhere but down under 😥

11 hours ago, slowbird said:

That DSH95 matches the red paint? 

Can't seem to find it online anywhere but down under 😥

No, the DSH95 is a dark metallic grey, which matches the colour of the heat shield.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Himble said:

No, the DSH95 is a dark metallic grey, which matches the colour of the heat shield.

Ah! I see. Thanks man 👍

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently done this. I found removing the wheel and exhaust allows the heat shield to slide in/out. 

Only 7 bolts and easy to do .

I had mine bead blasted and then powder coated. Should give a tougher lasting finish than the original Honda paint.

Im pleased with the end result. 

VFR_800_HEAT_SHIELD.PNG

• Member Contributer

Its been loooong ago, but I found the heat shield on the boring side and thought to fix it up a bit... 

shot 2 of heat sheild

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, mello dude said:

Its been loooong ago, but I found the heat shield on the boring side and thought to fix it up a bit... 

shot 2 of heat sheild

Extra 5km/hr top speed right there!

• Member Contributer

That bastid thing was the first part I removed on my VFR when I got it and I couldn't believe a trim piece with 3 bolts could be like one of those Chinese twisted wire puzzles. Eventually I did the same as you and loosened the swingarm pivot bolt. If I had to remove the wheel or exhaust to get a damn heat shield off I would have had to make something simpler just on principal. I absolutely love the bike but only Honda could make something so simple a complete pain in the ass.

• Member Contributer

If remove the heat shield and wrap the the rear downpipes in DEI "titanium" heat wrap, it works better / feels overall cooler, under the seat, than with the heat shield, In my opinion.

fullsizeoutput_e1d.jpeg

• Member Contributer
On 9/8/2020 at 8:37 AM, Dangeruss said:

That bastid thing was the first part I removed on my VFR when I got it and I couldn't believe a trim piece with 3 bolts could be like one of those Chinese twisted wire puzzles. Eventually I did the same as you and loosened the swingarm pivot bolt. If I had to remove the wheel or exhaust to get a damn heat shield off I would have had to make something simpler just on principal. I absolutely love the bike but only Honda could make something so simple a complete pain in the ass.

Honda seems to have a philosophy of intertwining parts from the inside out making service a royal PITA.  It all works wonderfully when assembled,  but wow sometimes I think the head of design at Honda must be a sadist . . . 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Honda seems to have a philosophy of intertwining parts from the inside out making service a royal PITA.  It all works wonderfully when assembled,  but wow sometimes I think the head of design at Honda must be a sadist . . . 

Agreed, many years ago I had to change the lighter socket on an early Acura, I nearly had to gut the interior. I had a vision of the car starting out as a lighter socket travelling down the assembly line.🤬

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

Agreed, many years ago I had to change the lighter socket on an early Acura, I nearly had to gut the interior. I had a vision of the car starting out as a lighter socket travelling down the assembly line.🤬

Thanks for the laugh! My 83 Interceptor started out as a coolant overflow tank that Honda built a wonderful motorcycle around.

• Member Contributer
On 9/12/2020 at 3:32 AM, gig said:

If remove the heat shield and wrap the the rear downpipes in DEI "titanium" heat wrap, it works better / feels overall cooler, under the seat, than with the heat shield, In my opinion.

fullsizeoutput_e1d.jpeg

The heat shield and pipe wrap is exactly how my current ride is set up. No shield. I talked to my local dealer about this situation and was told the wrap does nothing to change performance and may reduce it. I plan to remove the tape and put the heatshield back on. I can feel more heat comming from that area on my boots and ankle but the leather suit and boot makes it tolerable. Barely.

• Member Contributer

There's always the carbon fibre option...

P1030904x.thumb.JPG.b4b03723dfd15363e880f5313cca399f.JPG

(Sorry, I can't remember where I got it.  Some small-production guy found on the Web, I expect.)

Ciao,

JZH

Archived