Piece of black foam in the air passage in front of air intake box?

eNiMaLx

I discovered a 1" thick piece of black foam in the air passage between the air intake box and the frame. It was glued onto a plastic flap that I'm assuming is there to deflect debris from going into the air filter. I put my hand into the frame and couldn't feel any other air passage other than the one below it. My question is is it supposed to be there? The reason I removed it is I figured it gets drenched after riding in hard rain and was the reason behind my engine struggling and dying at idle after riding in hard rain. After removing it, I noticed the engine running much better at low RPM's with a big improvement in torque and it now feels as if the engine is no longer choking on something. I also cleaned the K&N air filter at the same time, so it could be the result of both, but the air filter didn't look that dirty. I also had to slightly increase my idle speed after as it went down to 1100 from 1200. I would have expected the idle to increase from the engine running more lean with the increase in air, but who knows how the ECU works.

• Member Contributer

Yes its supposed to be there for protection against the debris (as you stated) and water i assume also.

And like you, I removed it, as I don't really ride in wet weather, as for washing her just be careful where you aim the hose.

I cannot confirm if it makes any performance improvements but I like to think that better air flow/movement around that area may help.

33 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

Yes its supposed to be there for protection against the debris (as you stated) and water i assume also.

And like you, I removed it, as I don't really ride in wet weather, as for washing her just be careful where you aim the hose.

I cannot confirm if it makes any performance improvements but I like to think that better air flow/movement around that area may help.

Well shit 😮. I guess I'm off to gluing it back on as I like riding in the wet. The performance improvement was probably from cleaning the air filter haha... (Even though K&N states 80 000 km cleaning intervals...)

Archived