Has anyone replaced the sight glasses on their VFR's master clyinders?

• Member Contributer

I've replaced them on all my First Gens as the MC's (I assume) were made by Honda. 86 on is Nissin.

On the First Gens, the MC is aluminum with a stainless ring pressed into the body and then the window (plastic) pressed into that. It is relatively easy to pop out the window and glue a mineral glass watch crystal in for replacement.

On the Nissin's, the body is obviously aluminum, and there is a metal ring but I can't tell if the ring is pressed onto the sight glass (plastic) or if like the previous Gen. pressed into the body and the sight glass pressed into that. Depending on how its done means about a 2 mm difference in what glass I should order. I do not have a spare Master to inspect, nor do I want to disable the VFR during a short riding season in Maine.

Any experience or insights appreciated. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I have replaced many sight glasses over the years and in numerous cases, they weren't all the same size.  If you have one that's a bit too large in diameter, it's easy enough to carefully sand the edge as you rotate the glass, stopping often to check fitment.  Once it's almost able to drop in, it's ready to go.  I use a glue syringe to lay down a bead all the way around where the glass will sit, then press it in.

Over the years I've refined my process, but this video will give you an idea how it can be done:

Note that I no longer use Lexan - mineral glass watch crystals are the way to go.

Archived