Help! Electrical gremlin in the ignition system!

Schorn83

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my bike when it starts. When I go to start my 2016 vfr800f everything proceeds as normal. The headlight lights up, the dash comes on and does the needle sweep, the fuel pump primes etc. But when I hit the starter button all that happens is that ignition relay will click (quite frantically), the dash goes dark and the starter motor will sometimes go, but the actual engine won't catch. The weird thing is that I've done this while attached to a volt metre and the battery has been near fully charged (showing 12.6v). 

Anyone else ever experienced this? The dealership mechanics are very quick to prescribe a new battery but it feels like something is going wrong in the ignition system. 

Any and all experiences and good ideas welcomed. 

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

First thing, make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. Failing that, remove your battery and take it to Supercheap Auto or Autobahan, they can load check it for you for free.

Suspect from what you're saying, you may well have a battery issue. Terminal voltage is NOT a good indication of battery capacity, it's ability to crank your engine over.

Are you saying you are seeing 12.6v at the battery WHILE holding the starter button in? 

Once you get your bike going, confirm your charging system is OK, you should have 14.5 odd volts measured at the battery with engine running.

Good luck keep us posted. Where in Aus are you?

Archived