Bar ends are being very difficult to remove...

Has anyone else had this problem with the bar ends? I'm just trying to remove the throttle-side one. There is a hex socket bolt in the bar end weight that I can turn, but the bar end wants to turn along with it, and it never unthreads. If I hold the bar end in place by gripping it firmly, I can turn the hex socket inside the bar end but it is very difficult to turn, and no matter how much I spin it it never gets any looser. What the hell is going on here? The manual doesn't say anything about this; it just says to "remove bar end". Also the bar end seems to have some kind of cam action to it, where you can turn it about a half-turn, and it comes outwards and locks the throttle tube in the position you leave it.  If you then rotate the bar end the other way (forward) a half-turn, it completely releases the throttle tube so it's normal again. Almost functioning like a type of cruise-control or throttle locker.  I would be amazed if this was stock behavior. Has someone replaced the factory bar ends on this bike with some type of cruise control bar ends? If any of this isn't clear, I can make a video of it and share it from youtube.

• Member Contributer

image.png.aa2ebf6b02fc3880b16a52d325c80b2d.png

There's nothing on a standard bar end which does what you describe, so I would say you almost certainly do have some form of throttle lock installed. The standard bar ends are retained by phillips head screws not hex bolts so that is another clue to something non-standard. 

• Member Contributer

Does this help? Agree with Terry the bar end screws are Phillips head. However my Kaoko throttle locker does have an Allen key socket bolt. Sounds like you are describing how the throttle locker works, so yes you do have a non standard situation. Below is what the Kaoko throttle locker looks like and requires the removal of the inner weight assembly before installing the Kaoko..

image.png

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

sounds like someone used red Loctite instead of blue....

Did you try with an impact driver? 

• Member Contributer

I never liked the bar ends on the 5th gen, I found them on the cheaped out, wimpy side. I'm running 4th gen bars and ends. The design is more substantial.

Archived