Dual Sided Swingarm for 4th Gen

monstar

Question

I've seen pictures in the past of dual/double sided swingarms on 3rd or 4th gen vfr750s. I can't for the life of me find them again and I've searched google and this forum.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I know the CBR900 guys put vfr swingarms on their bikes with some spacers and a couple donor parts from either bike so I would think it might be the same the other direction... plus I believe they have the 5 or 6 spoke wheel (anything but a 3 spoke!)

Thanks for any help

15 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

All I know is a 954 will go into a 5th Gen. I don’t know all the details, unfortunately. But, do remember it being minimal finesse to get it to work. If you know enough VFR interchangeability, maybe, that’ll help get you where you want to go. 

9 minutes ago, ducnut said:

All I know is a 954 will go into a 5th Gen. I don’t know all the details, unfortunately. But, do remember it being minimal finesse to get it to work. If you know enough VFR interchangeability, maybe, that’ll help get you where you want to go. 

Makes sense, they have similar frames. There were a couple photos floating around of a 4th gen with cbr900 or 929 swingarm and I'm so frustrated that I didn't save it. Thanks

After googling "frankenviffer" I finally found one pic. It led to this forum:

(funny, I searched this site and modified was a key term I used and this never came up, along with cbr900, swingarm, etc. Search function is next to useless)

• Member Contributer

When I want to search VFRD, I use the site option on Google.

site:
          Limit results to those from a specific website.

Example: site:www.vfrdiscussion.com  frankenviffer

It only searches the website listed after the keyword "site:"

• Member Contributer

I think someone here fit a 2007 CBR600RR swingarm, and an 2004 R1 maybe? I don't think any of them were bolt-on minimal work jobs. I remember the German guy RV4, he had to weld on new shock mounts on the frame to get the R1 swingarm to work.

4 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

I think someone here fit a 2007 CBR600RR swingarm, and an 2004 R1 maybe? I don't think any of them were bolt-on minimal work jobs. I remember the German guy RV4, he had to weld on new shock mounts on the frame to get the R1 swingarm to work.

I'd be interested in looking at those! The cbr900 is something I'm considering but I don't want to modify the exhaust I'm making right now. I'd like to be able to go back to the SSSA if need be. I thought about chopping and rewelding the right side of the cbr900 swingarm to get room for the rear pipes on the outside. Who knows how much it'd cost to weld.

I am curious why you want to put a conventional swing arm on a VFR. The single sided swing arm is a VFR trademark, and it looks awesome. I have had both Gen III and Gen IV VFRs and would never have considered such a thing. In fact, I have thought about retro-fitting one on my current Hayabusa.

I do like the look of the SSSA, I wouldn't scrap it, just put it aside. I'm going for an rc45 endurance replica with dual sided swingarm and 4-2 exhaust. Rigidity, weight reduction and I think it'll complete the look.

Here's my other thread:

• Member Contributer

So the 600RR was actually a 5th gen, and the pictures and whatnot for the R1 were purged from the crash way back I guess.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Jon Johanson's RV4

620404_331649836929955_790077658_o.jpg?_

Hold up. You've known his name and had new pictures, and you never added it to the thread? What else are you holding back on us??

I've been trying for over a year to get those camshafts ordered, but I guess they don't want to deal with non-Germans. The Belgians don't want to deal with me either. Maybe it's because I work for a French company now..

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Jon Johanson's RV4

620404_331649836929955_790077658_o.jpg?_

Wow!!! This looks legit good. I just saw some photos of the build and appears to be r1 rear. And I would ask what year swinger it is but judging by the custom linkage might be out of my league to get done. Any details would be awesome though... 

Archived